AV-Test.org march test results

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Valentin_Pletzer, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Yes, of course. Believing Andreas Marx is gullible, but not when we swallow the words of C.S.J for granted. ;)

As always, you resort to turning these issues personal in attempt to deflect the obvious. I'm pointing out the simple fact that you seem to be doing the very same thing you accuse Marx of. If you want to blast him for posting unevidenced, baseless data, the very least you can do is not turn around and do the very same all in the same post. Tough luck that you can't accept it, I guess.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, i do the same as him.

i have an opinion on products and post it. ;)

but i dont charge for it :D

--------------
    thats going a little far, even for you solcroft.

if you believe the results posted, thats fine..... but dont expect everyone to share the same view

i really thought you, especially you... would share a similar view, looking at the results yourself.

anyway, to put this little conversation with you to an end, my words are spoken and so are yours, now lets wait and see what everyone thinks. :)

3. solcroft

I don't think so. I just have problems with baseless crap and hypocrisy, AND all in one post. I think many will agree.

Why not take your own advice?

DrWeb and Frisk have shown no compunction against withdrawing from tests that they don't like, but they seem to endorse Andreas Marx, at any rate. And seeing as how simply asking for what is it that you actually base your, erm, opinions on always results in these evasive, roundabout replies (dodge, dodge, dodge), I think this will be my last post on this matter.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The evidence against the landing on the moon is so weak that it's nothing more than a laughable conspiracy theory.

5. vlk

vlk AV Expert

What "high prices" are you talking about, exactly? o_O

6. solcroft

Probably the ones his opinions told him about. :shifty:

7. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

we did land on the moon , I saw it on TV so it has to be true! ;-)
    FWIW the results are suspect IMHO, some make sense others do not, it's simple math that some just don't add up so I suspect that alot of conclusions are of the person writing the report.

8. Valentin_Pletzer

Valentin_Pletzer Registered Member

I didn't pay for the results :)

Btw: I just compared the on-demand results av-test/av-comparatives. Even though the testsets are different and they probably used different programs from the same vendor, the results are very much the same. 7 out of 16 differ less than 1 percent.

I guess they both do a good job.

9. solcroft

That is true. What makes sense or not, however, is mostly based on other reports, or whatever limited experiences we have. And they may very well be completely incorrect in the context of the sample set used by Marx. Some things I have quirks with, and are grossly incorrect in my experience:

- avast!, Trend Micro ranking higher than Sophos and Ikarus (these two are VERY fearsome single-engine scanners) for on-demand detection
    - BitDefender having higher heuristics than Avira. BD has very good proactive detection (generic unpacking, behavior emulation, the works) but not enough to beat Avira's packer-happy "heuristics"

but that's about it. The remaining products I either have little experience with, or are within acceptable error limits depending on the sample size.

10. Joe_Jones

Joe_Jones Registered Member

Of course there are always people that would like to change the way the tests were done.

But i think that av-comparatives, virusbtn and av-test.org together can give you a very good impression on how AV's performs.

If a product performs bad in all tests or is in the top5, it certainly gives you an idea.

Further more, all test are clear on how they have tested.
    If these 3 tests were not done, it was even more difficult to get an idea on how a AV performs year by year.

Yes, i am very happy about these tests, but perhaps i have all reason to be
    :D

11. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

tests are a lot like accounting. In accounting you can make numbers say anything IMO. Same with test results, you can manipulate them in a manner that proves ones theory or beliefs...

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think CSJ means the prices involved for publishing the results on a magazine. Given that magazines can indeed pay AV-test to perform specialized tests, I guess CSJ assumed Chip paid Marx for these results.

And BTW, regarding "strange" rankings of some products, it might just have something to do with settings. Sometimes BitDefender also does packer detection though, but I doubt it caused high scores this time.

13. solcroft

Yes, we all know that Marx specifically doctored and tailored his results to favor avast!, Trend and BD. Must have taken quite some effort, since the rest of his statistics look quite ok to me. :thumb:

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Is this a sarcastic comment? I really cannot see Marx doctoring the results. It might just be a settings thing as this has happened before with AV-test.........

15. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up, Valentin :)

I always enjoy reading test results from av-test.org... and the top ranked avk :cool:

16. DavidON

DavidON Registered Member

thanks for the info =)
    does anyone know which product version were used by AntVir ?

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

True true!

The moon is just around the corner, so there's nothing to be amazed of ;)

18. btman

btman Registered Member

I'm going with C.S.J. on this one by not believing the results.

Microsoft > Kaspersky on detection and cleanup?

Since when?

19. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Congrats to eTrust for not coming in last this time.:thumb:

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

With the money that MS has to throw at Devs and Analyst, I could see it happening. who knows who they have on their payroll.

21. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

i think it is Microworld escan not Etrust antivirus from CA.

22. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

No, I was referring to eTrust / VET (CA) which has a history of pulling up the rear in AV-test.org roundups.

23. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

That makes three of us. I have never trusted av-test's results. Microsoft has never been better than Kaspersky. Perhaps one day, but no way it is better right now.

24. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I as well with C.S.J opinion on the test results.we all have are opinions some stronger then others and thats cool.I personally do not put much faith in testing procedures and probably never will.there is my opinion:D

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

One should bear in mind the history of the test author at this site when deciding if his tests are trustworthy or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.