AV-Test Certifications July/August 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by King Grub, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

2. malexous

malexous Registered Member

and Panda.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  4. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

5. varunit

varunit Registered Member

Bitdefender had always been the topper in their tests. But I am afraid that it doesn't have many followers in here wilders. :rolleyes:
    Their 2012 products were pretty good when I tried. But The lame internet slowdown problem in so annoying which they failed to fix for over years.. Had anyone experienced this problem using bitdefender 2012 products?:doubt:

6. King Grub

Yeah, for all the hour I tried it. Ping went skyhigh.

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I heard about them. they used to have a free version based on clam AV which seems to be discontinued.
    -http://www.fightspyware.net/-
    That version is no better than a fake AV because after installing that it detected a-squared and other security tools as virus. it is about 2 years since I tried it.

see this two links which proves that these two products are related
    -http://www.fightspyware.net/?page=secureit_cp-
    -http://www.securitycoverage.com/?page=SecureIT_Services-

8. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Several observations:

--I can see Comodo dropped from these tests... :eek:

--They are now testing corporate AV solutions [e.g., McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 etc.]...good!

--I'm quite surprised McAfee VirusScan ENTERPRISE did relatively well in these tests. My employer has this AV deployed throughout our organization [about 4000 workstations] and I notice many call to help desk because some employees get infected by Fake AVs which McAfee hasn't been able to catch. So, I'm surprised with the results by AV-Test. :eek:

Summing up, interesting tests overall although they were performed on Win 7 [ at work we run Win XP]

Carlos

9. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Well Avast's prevention is better than it used to be, but I'm surprised removal is so bad.

Bitdefender is crazy! 100% prevention in all categories, and no false-positives. It seems if they fixed the browser slowdown problem it would be the best.

Very surprised EAM didn't pass, but it didn't test the version 6 beta so we'll see how it improves once version 6 is out.

Also noticed Comodo wasn't tested...

10. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

Symantec and Kaspersky did well in both the tests. Congratulations to the winners. :thumb:

Ziaul

Edit- F-Secure did well too in both the tests.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  11. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

Yes they have a new version untill 3\4 days and no browsing slowdown but when hi scan is another story...very heavy scan disk.

12. varunit

I have tried the BD IS 2012 version, but the internet slowdown problem still persists. I have updated the product to latest version... BD has poor support forums. Many users are complaining about this same problem. They are not even responding to those issues. :mad: Atleast a word of "We are fixing the problems" would satisfy the customers.. :argh:

13. Sherlock_Holmes

Sherlock_Holmes Registered Member

Why not disable the web shield on it ? Even without it i thnk the suite is pretty powerful

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sigh, Comodo needs more testing, not less.

15. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

what? Didnt improved the removal since 2009? See the last removal test from AV-C. What a shame! 2 years and no cleaning improvements!

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

eset smart sec the same repair score as avast...and only a 3.5 in prevention..wow, and yeah i wish avast removal was better

17. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I wonder though if the repair test was done with a full-scan or boot-time scan, since a boot-time scan could probably remove more.

18. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Good work by Norton, Kaspersky and Bit Defender :thumb:

19. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

This is the only independent vendor that dont provide detailed info about the methodology, the sample set, etc.
    They should.

20. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@toxinon12345
    They do provide information about their methodology, the exact sample sets however are only available for the vendors.

@all
    AV-Test results always seem to fit best to my real world experiences. Anyone else?

21. King Grub

I have to agree.

22. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

I uninstalled total security, cause it was slowing down everything. Since I have good internet conectivity - I didn't noticed browsing lags in particular.

23. clocks

clocks Registered Member

In my real world tests, I only check prevention, so I can't comment on AV-Tests clean up scores.

I will say it is nice to see AVG free actually score well in a test, as every time I try it is blocks pretty much everything. I am always surprised when I see other tests score it poorly.

So yeah, it terms of prevention and usability, I find these tests very accurate.

BTW - AVG free is the lightest rated AV from the tests I have looked at. People always say it is heavy because they assume lots of processes make it so, but that is not true.

24. varunit

Number of malware samples used by AV-TEST :

Protection against 0-day malware attacks, inclusive of web and e-mail threats (Real-World Testing) : Samples used: 79

Detection of a representative set of malware discovered in the last 2-3 months (AV-Test reference set) : Samples used: 230,452

Detection of widespread and prevalent malware (according to AV-TEST data) : Samples used: 5,000
    :D

25. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

thats not true. AVG is said to be heavy because it is in terms of boot time and few other factors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.