AV Surprise

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by SourMilk, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I was looking for special offers on antivirus/antispyware/hips/etc. And I came upon a site that offered a free subscription to Bitdefender 2011 through Google search. Soon as I entered the site, I received a notification window that Microsoft Security (I use MSE) had determined that this website infected my computer and to click a button to allow Microsoft Security to clean the infection. So, (duh) I clicked the cleaning button and Microsoft Security found 8 infected folders and 18 files. I immediately turned off my computer and restarted it and then used Eaz-Fix to roll back to a clean snapshot. No infections found :) .

It's amazing that I was fooled like I was. The site was very legit looking. The graphics and terminology used mimicked MSE. A little embarrassed but now I know how easy it is to click a button if you think it is from a genuine AV.

Be careful out there in internet land.

SourMilk out

2. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

A lot of the fake AV's out there have started to look exactly like MSE.

3. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

oh yes indeed

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Could you PM me the url? Make sure you place - before it. ;)

5. pykko

pykko Registered Member

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

HAHAHAHA, a similar situation happened to me a few years ago (3-4 years) and i did the same thing, i immediately pushed the restart button.
    Though, in my situation, i wasn't fooled by the "Your PC is infected" but instead, a pop up showed and i was like screw it and pushed enter key, after a sec realized that was a fake AV pop up :D

Now since 2009 when i joined Wilders, now i'm more picky :D

Nothing happened at the end.

7. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies. I regret to say I do not remember the site the fake MSE was on. I was more interested in escaping at the time. All I can tell you is the Google search said "BitDefender 2011 free" without the piracy statements like torrent with keys or things like that. That was the reason I chose that particular site. It sounded like promotion to me and I took the bait.

SourMilk out

8. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I'm curious- did you use any web-rating tools, DNS services, etc? It'd be interesting to see how these fare against your 'AV Surprise'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.