AV suites and firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JerryM, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I admit that I am confused re firewalls. Matousec's test indicate that except for Kaspersky, one is much better off with a third party firewall. Every other suite firewall failed the tests. I don't really understand the value of HIPS in such applications.

I do not have the knowledge to determine how the firewall fits in with other parts of a suite. I have some difficulty believing that the firewall in the suites are basically useless. Realizing that the developers do not design the suite firewalls as stand alone applications, but to work with the rest of the suite.
    I am also not sure if that is just rhetoric or is a legitimate objection to the test results.

So my question is, do you think that every suite, except Kaspersky, has such a poor firewall that one should always use a third party firewall instead of the suite firewallo_O? o_O

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Bah, ignore Matousec. Most suites, Kaspersky just one of, will and do serve just fine.

3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Matousec is testing HIPS capabilities, not firewalls. Perhaps one should always use a third party HIPS along with the AV/firewall suite of their choice.

4. ASM

ASM Registered Member

The result is just for reference... ranking is no important. Depend on which one you are more comfortable with...

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

What are a few good third party HIPS? Thanks.
    Regards,
    Jerry

6. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Malware Defender is my favorite and now for a price that can't be beat.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
    Regards,
    Jerry

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

When a company makes a suite it make it for common people. That's why they turn off the silent mode usually. If you see many suite firewalls like Norton, McAfee, GData indeed has a good HIPS if you turn all the HIPS on. I doubt why Matousec test them in default mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.