AV stability managebility

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by w1mb0r, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w1mb0r

w1mb0r Registered Member

There are many good AV-solutions.
    Besides detection rate there are other considerations.

A good AV should be stable, not slow down the pc too much... Updating should be a no-brainer and go automagically.  :D

We have McAfee on our pc's and whenever something goes strange, i suspect the McAfee nowadays.
    On the W95s it conflicts with the printing system, we get spool32 errors. I seem to have stopped that by excluding the c:\windows\spool directory and c:\windows\system\spool*.* files.
    The W95s nearly hang when McAfee comes across the tightvnc program. Excluding that resolves the problem.
    On 1 pc it slows down startup of some applications and printing, winword takes 8 secs to start with McAfee disabled, it takes around 52 secs when it is enabled.
    I know many software-venders don't support w95 anymore but many clients haven't been able to free themself from it yet. they shouldn't have abandoned it 'already'. besides i've heard of similar problems on w98.

Lately I feel as if I can't trust it on w2k either, but I can't give any facts on that yet. It seems to have to do with archives (zip, jar...) scanning takes too long.

What would be a recommended AV for a network of about 100 pc (w95,w2k), a few wnt/w2k servers and an exchange-server? we'll go to wxp later. Of course on a network like this managebility is an issue. I do hold the kiss-principle dear, so i'd like it to be simple and effective. The exchange-server should be able to remove attachments with certain extensions and put them aside (in a quarantaine as some applications put it).

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

you might wanna look into a decent server AV like the one offered by kaspersky at http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html?tgroup=1&pgroup=8

It costs some loot but easier to manage by far than 100 instances of some desktop solution.

Kaspersky isn't the only game in town for this, but at the last corporation I worked at, they had the Innoculate bundle and it kinda sucked IMO and the opinions of the sys admins.

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

w1mb0r - Hi and welcome!

You might want to check into TrendMicros' PC-Cillin for the enterprise part - they use it where I work (and there are considerably more workstations there than you're mentioning) and they seem to be thrilled to death with it.

No known system infections to date and it does everything you're asking for (and probably more).

Here: http://www.antivirus.com/products/

HTH Pete

4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Command Anti- Virus is simple and effective !
    http://www.commandsoftware.com/index.cfm

Also very affordable!

Technodrome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.