AV Sodftware on Win2k server

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by davidlars99, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidlars99

davidlars99 Registered Member

I will be installing Win 2003 or 2000 server on my gateway laptop, and I was wondering which Anti Virus and Firewall software I should be getting. It's not gonna serve me as a server or anything like that, rather it's gonna be a simple desktop computer, not connected to any network, mainly for my educational purposes. It's only gonna have cable internet hooked up to it and that's it. I really appraciate a smart suggestion... :)

BTW, I had McAfee (desktop version) before, but it was causing whole lot of different problems.

thank you.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@mods - i believe this thread needs moving.

neways just check the other antivirus and other firewalls sections for ideas. it rele depends on how much security u want and how powerful ur comp is. my suggestion to u is to just download trials of various AVs and try them one at a time. make sure to uninstall one av before trying the next or use an imaging program like true image if u have one.

3. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Get NOD32 for your antivirus program (did you expect any different, asking here? ;) ). The Standard version should do, if that's what you mean. I strongly suggest downloading the trial version from Eset's website so you can see for yourself.

I will leave the firewall question to others.

4. vee

vee Registered Member

Outpost (Agnitum) works great with NOD (Eset).

KIS2006 (Kaspersky) looks very promising and it is already amazing, but still in pre-beta.

Although I am pretty sure NOD 3.0 and Outpost 3.0 (hmmh, am I the only one that smells something :D) will have a few suprises ;).

Regards,
    vee

5. davidlars99

davidlars99 Registered Member

thank you, I installed NOD32 and Outpost. I like them, but when I try to enable IMON in NOD32, internet doesn't work.

6. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hello davidlars99,

Please make sure that Outpost is allowing the NOD32 Kernel Service access to the internet.

Bandicoot.

7. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

You can also try LNS as a firewall.It's lighter than Outpost.
    And it works great with NOD32 too.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

8. vee

vee Registered Member

I installed first NOD32, then disabled Windows Firewall, then installed Outpost (latest 416)... I clicked on Automatic configuration, which I fine tuned in next window... should work.

If still not, check Outpost Log for blocked ports and IMON Settings.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    vee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.