AV reinstall wil this work?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by need umbrella, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I need to reinstall my anti virus and will be vulnerable to infection as I will lose the virus definition and programs updates. If i copy c\program files\ antivirus to my documents can I reinstall, open the folder in my documents,select all and move to the folder in c\ program antivirus clicking yes when asked if i want to replace contents in c\program\antivirus folder ? Will that work?If not is there a way?Sorry if this in the wrong place

2. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Have you tried shutting off/unplugging internet connection, re-installing, and hooking your internet back on and doing and immediate update?

3. Yes but I am way behind and on dial up.Is my idea workable?Thanks

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if ur reinstalling, why do u want to coopy over ur previous install? also i agree sosaiso even if ur on dialup.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Unless you are trying to download a "big" AV from scratch such as F-secure or Norton on dial-up, IMO, you are worrying too much.

Assuming that you have the original download on your hard-disc/DVD/flash-drive, reinstall and then go on-line and then simply update your AV. You should be okay. Your chances of an infection are very slim if your firewall is well configured, your OS is fully patched and you do not visit any risky sites during the AV download.

If your original AV download is quite old and you need to upgrade to a newer one, download this version before uninstalling the old version and then upgrade as before.

When you are fully up to-date, carry out a full on-demand scan.

Not a major problem even on dial-up.

6. I want to copy the updates i have been getting through live update so that I will be up to date on virus definitions BEFORE going on net. Thanks for your reply

7. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi,

Your first post wasn't too clear, but now inderstand what you are trying to do.

You don't say why you think you need to uninstall, or which AV it is ?

Yes i think you should be able copy the updates across to the same place in your new install. Also it's possible you might be able to copy your settings too, if you know where they are stored.

If you try to copy across everything from this install to the new, you will have big problems, so please don't attempt it !

StevieO

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

also if u have an AV from symantec, f-secure, kaspersky, or mcafee another option is to manually download the latest definitions before uninstalling/reinstalling.

9. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

Most software, it's easy enough to find the file that has the defintions. Just export it, reinstall the AV and import it again. I wouldn't worry up not having the engine upgrades for a little while. Mostly, they're just bug fixes or upgrades to the engine's efficiency. The essential functions are still there.

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If I reinstall my harddisk, I switch my internet modem OFF.
    Most softwares can be installed without internet connection.
    But MS AntiSpyware, A2, ... require an internet connection for installation and I consider this as a mistake. Every software should have the possibility to be installed without internet connection.

11. Hi
    Sorry my first post was not very clear. It is norton Av 2004 and I have to reformat the disk so all the virus defs will be way out of date. I have backed up c\program\norton and c \ program symantec to an extrnal disk. I plan to reinstall the av and would hope to be able to find the updated defs in the back up and install them to the new c program file. Someone wrote that av updates can be downloaded manually. This is true but it is 12 MB on dial up. So I want to replace from my back up. where do I look Norton ot Symantec folder? I think the liveupdate engine is out of date too. Thanks

12. Forgot to say when I wipe the hard drive Iwill also lose all hotfixes, is there any way to back them up They were automatic updates. Thanks

13. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

This is just my one cents, and someone will come along and correct me later on. But I don't think you need to worry about past fixes. [I use this theory only because it's true with my gaming. :T]. Newer fixes will often be on the same components as the old fixes were. Most companies update "incrementally". So by downloading the newest fixes live off the internet, will give you the most current patch, regardless of the past fixes [because they're already there in the newest fixes]. Just a theory though. I have no idea how you would back up the hotfixes. Sorry if my logic is completely wrong/confusing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.