AV Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DX2, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Yes it does, otherwise it would not work. See my post a few posts back. I want to get rid of the myth of software using no memory.

2. cobrafirefly

cobrafirefly Registered Member

Speaking euphemistically. You can probably stop correcting everybody in this thread, thx.

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

You were wrong, and Webroot uses about 2MB of memory in each of its 2 processes. Not nothing as you would have us believe.

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

If possible, could you write into our support inbox so that we can take a look? It could possibly be related to the Webroot-branded Lastpass toolbar but we'd definitely want to investigate closer as WSA should have virtually no impact to any application.

Paging out RAM creates a sizable hit on disk usage which slows down the system overall. One trick that some vendors are using (not Webroot) is to allocate their memory in kernel mode so that tools like Task Manager/Process Monitor can't see it. This has security and performance implications but unfortunately there is little that can be done to avoid this type of approach and the false perceptions it creates.

5. itman

itman Registered Member

What you have to look at is commit size. For many AVs that size remains constant. The only thing that changes using their various "memory optimization" features is how much is swapped to the page file. If your page file is on a SSD or a fast SATA 6 GB/s drive with no other OS used files on it, you probably won't even notice the difference in performance. On the other hand, memory is so cheap these days and if your OS is not x86, buy as much as you can and load everything in memory.

6. DX2

DX2 Guest

How do you load everything into memory?

7. coolbuy

coolbuy Registered Member

Since i dont have an option to start a new thread, i am putting my question here.

I have two systems, Which version of ESS is better for the following configurations?

1). WinXP, Atom 1.60GHZ singlecore, 1GB RAM

2). Windows 7, Core i3 & 4GB Ram

i've tried ess6 on my win7 laptop, but it is slowing me down when i open applications even after i did a smart scan. If possible please provide me ESS configuration setting to make it run faster.

8. itman

itman Registered Member

Depends on the product. Emsisoft Anti-malware has a setting to do it. It's called memory optimization. Turn it off and all the sigs. are loaded into memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.