AV for the masses

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Madsen DK, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Hi
    Just curious.
    Something strikes the eye when you visit a electronic store or warehouse( I can only speak for Denmark where i live)
    When you come to the AV shelves, theres a ocean of yellow boxex( NAV) and a little corner with Mcafee boxex to fill the rest.
    If you are not comfortably buing on the net, and many still are, there is really no alternative to NAV or Mcafee.
    Almost every new preinstalled pc comes with NAV or Mcafee.
    A product like PC-Cillin is impossibly to obtain in a boxed version( not that i need it), and Kaspersky is difficult too, but it is possible.
    Are Symantec and Mcafee better to make big deals or are their brands just the thing you use.?
    Those two are certainly the only to advertise here in DK, so perhaps thats the reason.
    NOD is sadly virtually unknown here, even though Eset has a danish website.
    Perhaps im wrong, but the people i meet almost always says NOD WHAT?? when i tell them about it.
    Just a couple of thoughts i wanted to share with you.
    Have a nice weekend :D
    Regards Ole

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ole,

It all comes down to marketing - not necessarily to quality ;).

regards.

paul

3. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Hi paul.
    Yes i know about the quality .(Nod :D)
    Sym & Mac certainly must use a few pennies on marketing.
    Regards
    Ole

4. Paul Wilders

There are worse antiviruses :D

One can say anything about for example Symantec - but there marketing and budget coming with it is far from bad. Now, if only marketing would not overshadow quality - and sadly that's quite often the case, whatever product one's talking about :rolleyes:.

regards.

paul

5. Here in Massachusetts, if you go to a Staples or Wal-Mart's, you basically see the the same thing.. A whole row of Symantec, and a bit of MCAfee..

However, now I've also seen Wincleaner Quickheal, is is no NOD32, but better than Norton, in my opinion.. In the box they toot that their anti virus doesn't bog the computer down...

It's just too bad the average consumer only has basically two choices when visiting the retail stores...

6. Paul Wilders

Shooter,

Very true indeed. This may change in the (near?) future though, as soon as budget from other companies permits.

regards.

paul

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

QuickHeal is not even near to be better then NOrton. I do like some QuickHeals features but detection rate is something that turns me off.

Technodrome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.