AV for PII-300

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LIW, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LIW

LIW Registered Member

Good day to everyone.
    My aunt owns a PII300 which she uses to chat with her daughter who is studying overseas. Another word, she uses it for surfing the internet mostly. Currently she is using norton av and giant antispyware only and she told me her stuffs got 'stolen' (dont ask me i dont quite understand myself too, i am going to meet her tomorrow) and she gets lots and lots and lots of unwanted popups. She asked me to help her to solved her problems.
    First I am going to ask her to format her pc and install opera (i prefer opera to firefox... no offence) and i am planning to purchased (if a free one is good or better then i would op for a free one) an antivirus for her (can i ask about firewall here too or i have to create another thread in firewall section?). So I would love to know which antivirus suits her old system? I am using KAV5 but i dont think this AV is suitable for her com. Planning to download ewido free for her too. Tks.

p/s: she wants a antivirus which has better virus detection rate compare to her norton...and other additional stuffs is a plus (malware, trojan, etc etc)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

To get an av with the extras you mention would really put a load on a 300 processor. If you want an av that is very light on a system and still has good detection I would recomend F-Prot. If for some reason she wouldn't like it there is nod32 that is also light on a system, not as light as F-Prot but pretty light with good protection. I really believe if it was my comp I would trial f-prot and see how it works for her. available here

bigc

3. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

kav might slow down a machine like that too much...but detection-wise it cant be beaten ( http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=67&mnu=67 )

for a slow pc id recommend drweb (but most others here would recommend nod32)

or maybe the old avp (kav) 3.5 which u can get from avp.ch would be a good choice...(if its up to modern standards...is it?) its certainly faster than kav 5 and 4

firewall, id recommend outpost, either the free or pro version.

4. .....

..... Registered Member

F-Prot is the lightest product around.. i reccomend that for this system.

5. LIW

LIW Registered Member

tks for ur guys quick replies...i am truly impressed with this forum....fast and straight to the point...tks a million guys/gals

6. LIW

LIW Registered Member

i went to f-prot homepage to check it out....
    so sad windows version is the only version need to pay...rest of the other operating systems...it free for home users...am i right? correct me if i am wrong..tks...
    now i am thinking about dr web and f-prot...both are equally good in av-comparatives latest test...

7. bigc73542

F-prot may not be free but neither is Dr. Web

8. LIW

LIW Registered Member

what makes me sad is...with linux or other supported operating systems...its free...but windows version its paid version..it would be real nice if they make it free for windows hehehehe

9. bigc73542

;) They have to stay in business somehow ;)

10. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

NOD32 will run fine on the system you are describing--and will run even better depending on the RAM and OS she is using.

F-PROT will be lighter, as bigc mentions, but offers fewer bells and whistles.

Dr. Web is a good choice, also. So is Command.

11. LIW

LIW Registered Member

my aunt is running on winxp sp2 with 256 ram
    she just need a good antivirus (which is at least equal or better than norton)

12. bigc73542

all that were mentioned in this thread are equal to norton or better.

bigc

13. LIW

LIW Registered Member

tks now i have to convinced her...heheheheheheheh

14. bigc73542

Our pleasure. let us know what she chooses. thanks

bigc

15. LIW

LIW Registered Member

hmmm sure i will...
    i am waiting for ppl to recommend me a firewall in other firewalls section....
    so far i only got za4.5 as an option

16. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

i recommended outpost above ;)

17. Free 12 months trial EZ Antivirus specially made for aunts & uncles on slow pc's thats why they call it EZ.

18. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

DR.Web is perfect for a machine like this.

19. shek

shek Guest

I would recommand avp 3.5 which has the lightest resource usage and excellent detection rate, if it is compatible to xp. other option might be nod32, dr-web or EZ antivirus.

20. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Even with all the bells and whistles of XP turned off, this system will run slowly. Any chance of loading on Win2000 instead?
    Any of these should do the trick; http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=9644 but trial some of them first.
    IME, it should run okay as long as you tweak the default settings;http://kav.useice.com/kavtun.php

21. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

According to Kaspersky UK, the engine in KAV 5 is supposedly better in detecting stealthing trojans.

I used AVP 3.5 for several years on my old computer but replaced it with KAV 5. Although the latter version, has a heavier memory footprint, I find that with the necessary tweaks it appears at least as fast as the Swiss version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.