AV-Comparatives

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by computer geek, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And it wont, if you use some good old common sense.;)

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Ans that's the case with almost every piece of security/av/malware software that someone uses.

3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Common sense is especially good with PlaceboAV

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

The biggest problem with AVs or any other software issue is user error. That does not get addressed that much in this forum, since common sense and non-paranoia often seem to be in short supply. Use a top-ranked AV and add some common sense- and you will be protected and well served.

5. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

The thing that most impresses me about AntiVir is the speed at which it has become a consistent leader. I remember not too long ago when it was an 'also ran' A/V with folks making fun of Luke Filewalker! The fact that the more knowledgeable posters here at Wilders have come to expect the numbers that it achieves speaks volumes. Nicely done Avira!

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

You are right- it just works well. In fact, the test scores at various sites may have made Avira a target for criticism- it works too well for many. I have never had a problem except some issues with WebGuard which I simply did not install that module when installing the suite. Light as a feather on my laptop.

7. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

Read -> Nod -> Dismiss

Nice to see Avira at the top again - but I will just use what I have always used, with a pinch of common sense. :)

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Is the test bed also full of rootkits and vundo variants (as much as possible) ?

9. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

I'm very happy with Avira... glad too see it's still on the top :)

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I agree,along with a good AV like Avira, common sense and some Self control Is a great combo.My genereal rule Is apps need to earn there way on my machine.I dont open emails from any one other then what Is a must need basis.I do not explore the known dark side for any reason not matter how tempting It may be.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

The best part is Avira manages to do it with the least system impact and drama than the other AVs out on the market.

12. subset

subset Registered Member

Years ago, at about that time from the oldest reports of AV-C (2004) I had a very bad experience with Avira.

Downloaded a file and scanned it with Avira... nothing.
    Moved to another PC and scanned it with Kaspersky... pig squeal.

Now my big mistake was, that I trusted Avira because I thought it was a FP by KAV.
    This was the last time for years that I trusted Avira. :ouch:

But things have changed, Kaspersky prefers to slow down even Chkdsk and is incompatible with most of the other security products, the glory days are definitively long gone.

Now I tested a few AVs and at the end I decided to use Avira again, only the Guard and the Scanner of Avira Premium.
    It's light, has a decent detection rate and doesn't conflict with my other security software.
    That's all I expect from an AV.

Cheers

13. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I'm sick of this stupid thing. Why do you blame so much kaspersky for that? It's only a small slowdown, plus that chkdsk is a tool that users may run like once a month (or more probably when they have some harddisk problems), is it so a big deal a 5 min slowdowno_O
    Besides this, this issue IS NOT PRESENT in Kaspersky 2009 products.

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I ran kaspersky for the trial with No Issues at all For me.

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I know there is a love fest here when it comes to Avira, so I'm almost afraid to say anything bad about it. I'm must be the only person who has had any problems with Avira.

Every time I've tried to run a rootkit scan with Avira IS, it never makes it through to the end. It will stop at 24%, 60%, 84%, etc, etc. It's very frustrating. The strangest thing about this is, it did this on my old computer, and now on my brand new 2 month old computer.

I thought Avira didn't like my computer, but now I'm convinced, it's personal. Avira just doesn't like me. :oops:

16. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Don't be sad Graystoke. Just do like me and lots of other people, Use something else :)

Cheers

17. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

*Queue sad music*

I wonder how you expect KAV/KIS to run along side, Norton Internet Security for example....

Chkdsk issue is long gone and it is old news....to tell you the truth nobody cares anymore...because it's fixed and it was no big deal in the first place.... and those that do have some........issues....

The "glory days" haven't started yet mate, you haven't seen the half of it :D

18. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I love the new Antivir 8 , im using firefox 3 and it caught a bogie downloading :D :D Bye Avg 8

19. subset

subset Registered Member

Norton o_O
    Please take a look here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1244982&postcount=15

I have three PCs running with this problem and I know, that it's fixed with KAV/KIS 2009.
    But it's present on my systems as a reminder for very dubious and irreversible manipulations of a so called security software.
    Who known which dirty tricks done next? :ninja:

Cheers

20. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

If I remember correctly, try running the rootkit scan by it self.
    When it's tied into the full system scan it does cause your problem.
    There was a thread about this issue running on the AVira forums awhile back.

21. Graystoke

I've tried running it by itself, but that didn't work for me either.

Yeah, I'm quite happy with what I'm using now. I just hate accepting defeat. ;) :)

22. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

23. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

it is reversible,without a format!

24. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

And that's it... you have to find what common program is running and conflicting with avira on your both machines.
    Or should i say instead, don't do it and stick with KIS better :D

25. Graystoke

I'm using something other than KIS right now, but there's always the possibility I will return to it again. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.