AV-Comparatives Whole Product Real World Protection Test Results of October! 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chabbo, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AFAIK AV-C's tests are always conducted with Internet access. The reasons are different; I think Symantec believes the real world protection of their products is better than what tests imply; especially considering how Insight works....

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4152539

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_beh_201207_en.pdf

See pag.4 under "2. Description" second paragraph (I would quote it, but I think it's not allowed).

There are some tests with Internet connection (whole product dynamic for example) but not for retrospective tests.

3. Firecat

I saw what you're talking about, good to know. But I don't think Symantec quit because of this.

4. IBK

IBK AV Expert

All tests (except of course the retrospective one, which is not mandatory to take part in as we allow opt-out for that one) are done with an active internet/cloud connection.

5. vojta

vojta Registered Member

6. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

7. IBK

IBK AV Expert

hm, too soon. Anyway, for clarification till fixed: the July and December WPDT results in the graph show the results of the 4-months (March to June / August to November), and NOT for the month of December.

8. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Exactly.. I noticed BG did very well on these tests, but I feel the strength of products like BG are in the seriously amazing malware domain blocking capabilities. Webroot is powerful in this area as well with the inclusion of advanced PrevX. These tests make me nauseated. Webroot LOOKS overly user dependent, but it really isn't as pointed out above.

9. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

and symantec would be correct with believing that.

10. Firecat

If you saw the discussion I linked to, there is a certain inconvenience caused by Symantec for a small dev due to this....:)

From Symantec's (and the user's) POV: Yes it's probably good. For others? Maybe not? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.