AV-Comparatives: Whole product dynamic test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Baz_kasp, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You're quite the pot-stirrer, aren't you? Okay, I'll bite, but only to make this point. Norton naysayers, as you like to call them, have based their opinions upon plenty of evidence... but what you aren't grasping is that it's okay with the naysayers if the evidence is dated. I had enough BS from Symantec in the 90's to last me a lifetime. They are dead to me, as the saying goes. Do I try to convince others that Symantec today is a bad product? Nope. Do I try to explain myself to people like you who enjoy picking at scabs until the blood begins to flow again? Apparently I do, and I'm not sure why, though I'm thinking it's because I find your preoccupation with "evidence" to be maddening. Life is not a courtroom. People everywhere learn to survive on this planet predicated on their perceptions, emotions, instincts and experiences. History teaches some of us lessons. For people like you who don't understand how a user may have had such unpleasant experiences with a software manufacturer that he or she has simply vowed to have no business with them ever again, well, I suppose you are just too wrapped up in your worship of evidence to comprehend the concept.

There is no reason for you to say that it is unfortunate that my perspective will not be altered in the least. It's a cognitive choice I made. They screwed me. They won't have that opportunity again. It's a basic precept that many businesses rely upon... it's the evil twin of loyalty. Some businesses get that and work hard to earn a customer's future business. Others don't give a crap and go for the fast buck.

There are those among us who wouldn't be at all surprised to see Symantec return to those days. After all, they started out good and got lousy... who is to say the cyclical nature of business will not bring that full circle?

You think they have repaired their ways, patched up their image, righted their ship. I say I couldn't care less. All of the "recent evidence" in the universe that you may scurry about offering up for review doesn't phase me, and that's not unfortunate, Pleonasm. Unless you are Symantec and there are enough people like me.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Nice test, improves the scan folder type test, reduces sample numbers by thousands.
    Is it a failure if some vendors still score 90+ % ?

Are you kidding me? Dennis Labs put in that group comes across for me at least, as an insult for them. Are you saying they are not independent?

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is exactly my feeling. Symantec has done well in this test (an independent test) and they can use these results to promote their product with pride. Unfortunately, as Page42 pointed out, loyalty in business is a bit like a marriage: once you divorce you don't remarry your ex wife in the majority of cases. There are plenty of new customers out there.

Most of the past criticism was based on the legitimacy and objectivity of sponsored tests which Pleonasm has shown to be a common practice among many players and therefore to be read as ads for the respective sponsors.

I'm still wondering why even 1 FP out of a 40 samples is not penalized as they (AV Comparatives) always consider in other tests.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  4. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

Yes, indeed... in the past there were harsh criticisms for Kaspersky... that it is losing up... not good enough... AV-test and AVc's dynamic tests amply demonstrate that kaspersky was protecting the users very well:thumb: ....

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Good question. Too bad they didn't test all the same products in both tests.

6. apm

apm Registered Member

Well done Microsoft Security Essentials, without those fancy marketing "features" as in other "suite" products.

7. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Probably he was never "away" in the first place. :D Simply the same that were presenting him "away" , now make him appear to be "back".

This is what happens if you take AV tests as gold.

Anyway, i am happy that they do dynamic tests now, at least it's more realistic with the downside of having less samples.

8. smage

smage Registered Member

In fact, I'm still not satisfied with KIS.
    While it is clear that KIS has proactive features that can protect its users in the real world, it does not explain why KIS performs poorly in on demand tests. Such poor performance implies that someone whose PC is already infected, will not be able to rely on KIS to clean its system.

Symantec is the way to go now, it has demonstrated good performance in both dynamic and on demand tests!

9. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

AV-C, AV-Test are paid tests. You need to comply with their framework and foot the bill, they will deliver the results.
    As very evident, both independent testers are doing real-world scenarios with products which have advanced cloud computing capabilities. So if PrevX wants stretch its neck out and validate its claims, getting tested by AV-C or AV-Test would be the logical thing to do.

10. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I think they have, there is a False Alarm/Noise Test listed in the pdf.

11. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2009/12/av-comparativesorg_torture-tes.php

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

That's the very reason I'm asking, guess what, Avira for once had no FPs!

13. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Multi-engine AV's like G DATA are falling down a bit. Any ideas for that?

They used to be on the top. I know this is only one test (and that other too), but still. :eek:

14. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Just a guess...
    1. There may be a time-lag between when BD and Avast releases detections of malware to their users and when the update is published to GData's users.
    2. Additional protection components may help boost BD and Avast's detections.

15. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Well and intelligently said.

16. Technic

It might be that. And this time suites were tested.

17. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

1. No, when BD and Avast releases detections of malware G Data users can download it same time, G Data users connect to BD and Avast update servers.
    2. I agree with this.

18. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

G Data is more signature based AV, no HIPS just a behavior detection. I think in G Data 2011 we can expect a better proactive detection, G Data 2011 beta will come in january.

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

How do you know G Data 2011 will beta on Jan? :rolleyes:

20. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Why they tested Avast!5 FREE (and not AIS),because all the rest are security suites?(and btw,Avast! did a great job!!,bravo!!):thumb: :thumb:

21. Technic

Thanks for the info mate. I am planning to buy 24 months license tomorrow (special Christmas offer).

I like G Data AV on my laptop. I know they have zero support though. :doubt:

22. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I read this on the german rokop security forum and G Data 2010 beta was released in 2009 january. They want to release the final version for CeBIT(like they did with the 2010 version).

23. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

This is an english G Data support forum: http://forum.ultimateinternetsecurity.com

But i heard that an australian guy called the german support and they could talk in english.

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, i read that too, he got annoyed and instead of sending mails he called the german support :D
    And it worked

Hope it goes without problems man :) Good luck

What feature do you think they will be including in the 2011 version? :p

25. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

I have absolutely no issue with the concept that a poor experience with a company may destroy trust, and that in turn may destroy loyalty and the likelihood of repeat purchases. I’m sure that almost all consumers can resonate to this story. I know that I certainly can, and there exist companies that will never again see a purchase from me for similar reasons -- despite the fact that their products may be outstanding.

To the “Norton Naysayers,” I say: emotions are understandable -- we all have them. But, please do not let emotions color your perception of the objective performance of a company’s products; and, please do not present your personal emotional reactions as “universal truths.” Whether you “love” or “hate” Symantec should be irrelevant to the proper consideration of the results provided by Dennis Technology Lab, by AV-Comparatives, and by AV-Test. Remember -- this thread is about anti-malware products, not anti-malware companies. Hopefully, you can distinguish the two and realize that your emotions toward the latter should be distinct from your logical assessment of the former -- that is all that I ask. With regret, my prediction is that some will allow their emotions rather than their intellect to rule, will be unable to draw this distinction, and will thus dismiss all evidence of the excellence of the product.

I sincerely hope that history will prove me to be wrong.

I have no affiliation with Symantec -- past or present.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.