Av-comparatives tests in 2009 ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pykko, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I just visited av-comparatives website and I have seen there is no info about the upcoming 2009 tests.
    The table under Comparatives section is still the 2008 one.

I tried to post on their forum but it seems I can't find any "Post new topic" button or maybe I'm blind at this hour. :D

Do you have any info ?

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

i think you should better ask av-comparatives directly instead of creating a forum thread. ;)
    anyway, AS FAR AS I KNOW, a new website design is going to be launched soon, and test results of the big quarterly tests will be released as usual around the mid of march.

3. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Info. about the 2009 tests are found in the 2008 test reports. Dynamic tests will be performed in 2009.

4. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Whats a dynamic test?

5. pykko

pykko Registered Member

thank you for explanations.

6. TechOutsider

I hate people who just give answers w/o any research.

Dymanic means that they will be launching files and seeing if an AV blocks the malicious actions of the file.

7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I can't wait:-after all isn't that all we look forward to?(av tests!!)what would we do without them?oh I know ,we could get a life!!

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol, Naaaaaa, lives are for loosers :argh:

9. TechOutsider

tests just provide a baseline for an AV's overall experience.

10. Dregg Heda

How is this different to what they are doing right now?

11. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

Now they only made a manual scan of the infected files and give the results...While with dynamic tests they should be able to study if an Av blocks the malicious actions of the file (I think)...
    That's a very different way of testing and gave a better vision of the effective malware individuation.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  12. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Non dynamic tests are on demand tests. They simply use the on demand scanner. However, this often doesn't represent the real capabilities of stopping malware of a program. In dynamic testing you actually run the malware for real.

For example between static and dynamic testing giving different results, see PC Security Labs tests that already implement static and dynamic:

http://www.pcsecuritylabs.net/news.php?readmore=12

I think it's self-explanatory. With static test only, the detection rate would stop in the "blue" area. While in reality, the product has better detection because has some particular features (like BB module for example), so there is the "red" area too.

13. IBK

IBK AV Expert

no, PCSL is not a dynamic test. double-clicking on a file sitting on the desktop is not a dynamic test. you could call it (imo) maybe a proactive behavioral test.

in a dynamic test threats are introduced in the system like in the real-world (e.g. thru websites, emails, IM, P2P, etc.) evaluating the whole product capabilities (not just e.g. behaviorblcoker, etc.).

14. Dregg Heda

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I get it they'll be testing the real-time protection offered by the AVs as well! Sounds cool! Cant wait!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.