AV-Comparatives tests (2006-Q4)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

a work-around is to accept donations from companies/individuals after the test is done, e.g. for copyright things, permissions, etc. By keeping it as voluntary donations, it is up to users or companies if they want to give something and how much. So theoretically also a very small company/newcomer can for example afford to donate 50€ if they want to :p.
    anyway, for me it is clear that no matter if and how much is donated, the results or anything else would not change. it is just that some peoples may think that any person can be bribed and results simply faked, without thinking that the results can be verified by the various companies and that there are also expenses etc. to cover and to keep together the project.
    as the site is to inform as much users as possible, it would be not a good idea to restrict the access to the results to paying users only. Also asking a given fee to companies does not sound to me a good idea, as then some companies could say they do not take part because its to "expensive" :D , instead of other reasons...

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I would suggest that myabe AV-Comparatives should start including a donations link in their website. Also maybe they can offer some "Premium" paid services like info on newly spreading malware, protection instructions and removal procedures :doubt:

3. IBK

IBK AV Expert

there is already one in the aboutus section ;)

4. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

That is a disappointing showing for Prevx1.

But I’m not going to abandon them yet.

I’m looking at the theory of the product rather than the application.

Prevx1 has multiple means of identifying and stopping malware. It’s those means that to me seem better than what I consider the older and failed signature based model.

Prevx1 is relatively new, and to their credit, they recently substantially shifted the nature of their product to adapt to the environment. So they are still working out the kinks.

The agility of the product and the company is one of the big selling points for me.

But I need to look at DefenseWall more carefully too. I don’t know enough about that product, and it seems good.

I want to thank IBK for the great testing. Like Javacool, IBK is a hero to the surfers of the world.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

IBK,
    I could not read the donation information.
    Jerry

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I admit to being in the slow group, but the link just takes me to a foreign language and I do not know what I am typing or am being told to do. When we involve PayPal we want to understand all that is happening. I can generally logically understand, but I want to see it in English.

Maybe there is a form in English, but I did not see it. Sorry.

Best,
    Jerry

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

JerryM

Just send me your credit card number and i'll fill er in for ya!.:D

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

OH, how thoughtful of you! I cannot begin to thank you for the offer. However, I would have to get the number from my wife. That woman sure knows how to treat a man. :D :D After almost 52 years of marriage I have concluded that she is real smart for a girl.
    o_O o_O

Best,
    Jerry

10. IBK

IBK AV Expert

ah now I understood :). Now fixed.

11. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

1. The "DONATE NOW!" button should be placed at left frame menu.
    2. Donations are not very good stuff from the point of view of $$. It is not effective.
    3. If you need money- it is very easy to implement. Just ask $$ for each malware module you send to AV company (ie, if AV scanner have missed 50 ITW modules- just ask some revenue for those missed modules you send them).

12. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

And that will be exactly the moment when he will be "banned" from the AV community. There is no "selling" of malware samples and there will be none - at least with legitime testers/persons.

Before this nonsense continues i just give a small hint: He could do some contract based stuff - something like offering "dedicated tests and reviews" which are only available for the company which ordered it. Some of the companies would most likely prefer this before somebody puts out a public test result. Or something like this: "For amount $$ i will test monthly your solution against all ItW stuff and new malware i encounter and consider as important". But selling virus samples is a VERY BAD idea - he'll lose all respect with other companies (at least the serious ones) and other test institutions.

13. IBK

IBK AV Expert

yeah, that is not serious and non-sense; IC is absolutly right.
    best thing would be to find a partnership company from outside the av field which supports the site. still trying to find one.

back to original topic: within one week another report will be probably uploaded.

14. pykko

pykko Registered Member

thx for the 2 additional comparatives you've posted IBK. It was an interesting read.

15. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Yes, thanks, now I understand the point and agree with you- it was bad idea! Revenue should be got another way...

16. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

IBK: many thanks , again.

I am paid up member of PrevX community and have followed this thread with interest.

There have been a number of threads here and at Castlecops prevx forum re:
    "does it work?"

There have been many lengthy responses of it is "the new paradigm " type, and the "you dont understand" type.

Various claims have been made about speed of response to new malware detections etc. The position has been put forward that there is no actual test that can adequately assess PX and what it does.

There has been a thread here about executing simple test script files that PX did not block.

Hhmm. :(
    I'm glad that you have been able to do a test of simple known malwares that has been able to show some holes: will has lead to some obviously necessary updating. Good for me and others :)

I dont doubt that there are good people working on PX and the utility will continue to evolve. Perhaps not quite there yet? They may need to do a little more rigorous in house testing. I assume they would have the same access to you to the malware samples?. They could tone down the hyperbole a bit.
    I also like their idea. I'm not good enough to know whether the internet based screening will eventually have an advantage over other utilities; hopefully so.

Heh: Frank the perv and I will have to do lots of personal research so the database can grow. :D
    Maybe PrevX can give a prize to the user who turns in the most malware/month LOL.

I hope the PX team are hitting every crack/warez/blackhat/rightwingnutters/grom web sites they can find ASAP

As 'twas pointed out above PX can be set to query/block every running app: that would be disastrous !!

A very loud warning to anyone who relies solely on PX as protection (as has been posted elsewhere).

Echo that.

Regards

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

But in this case that comany,s product might perform on the top or near top in next tests jutst because of similar sample set/ technique etc.

In my opinion the only viable option is to be supported by a non-AV company. How it can be done and why some one wil support? -- I don,t know!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.