AV-Comparatives tests (2006-Q4)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Yeah, looks like you're right. But I would like also to ask somone from the NOD32 team whether NOD32's heuristics are based on Harvey Friedman's stack register model, as NOD32 runs at the assembly level.

Dave

2. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

There are several methods for heuristic and almost noone is using only *ONE* method because different types of algs are different effective on different types of malware.

3. IBK

IBK AV Expert

4. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

:D :D :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

5. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Thanks, Inspector. But am I correct in assuming that the algorithms do involve goal orientation, fairness, goal subinduction, forcing, metarecusion, or the like? And are these algorithms proved correct by metarecursive, pure combinatory, operational, algebraic, qutational or denotational semantics?

Dave

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Um....Maybe you should start working for an AV company. :D

7. aluckystar

aluckystar Registered Member

I remembered that you once said that PC-cillin's detection percentage is higher than 80% now and can be in the AV-Comparative's Test List.

8. IBK

IBK AV Expert

trendmicro decides if they take part or not.

9. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I think just because of Trend Micro has quite poor detection rates, like other scanners such as CA eTrust, Sophos (compared to its major competitors Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky), so, it's quite hard to explain to their customers why their scanners aren't that good as customers expect, even worse than a well known popular free antivirus such as AVG.

:eek:

10. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Thanks, Firecat, if I still had my health, I would love to work for an AV outfit.

Dave

11. IBK

IBK AV Expert

The comparative report of various protection tools can be found now on av-comparatives.

P.S.: thanks to Michael Neitzel for proof-reading the document. (the person who usually does it had no time this week).

12. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Thanks IBK.

At bit disappointed on McAfee's missing one sample in the widely spreading malware test. Was McAfee tested with the new 5100 engine?

13. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Good work for IBK for the HIPS test. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Surprised to see PrevX and CyberHawk's performance in the test. And glad to see that KAV's PDM and SafenSec blocked all the malware sample!!! :D

14. IBK

IBK AV Expert

yes, the new

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

when is the next proactive test IBK, it says november on the website which is now :)

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Very interesting. Not wanting to open a hornet's nest, but I have seen some claims by prevx and its users that do not pan out. Sure the misses have been corrected, but if it was as good as claimed they would not have missed.

It appears that the PDM module in KAV and KIS are good enough that one need not load his system with the others.

Thanks for the test, IBK.

Jerry

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  17. IBK

IBK AV Expert

the 1st december.

18. wir.sing

wir.sing Registered Member

Nice to see KIS/KAV PDM do so well. And also surprised by PrevX missing a couple of samples, compared to how its praised here. would have like to see some more products in the test like OnlineArmor or GreenBorder.

And for the Behaviour Blocker and especially for the KIS PDM Im surprised there no mentioning of the high rate of "false positives" (technically they might display symptoms of of malware, but pratically they are legit programs) you recieve, which could confuse a not so informed/experienced user.

But yea nice test IBK. As always :)

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for the test, IBK ;)

20. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Why wasn't SSM included?

21. IBK

IBK AV Expert

there are lot of such tools around, it would never be possible to test all. i tested those which i was often asked by users during last years. note that the work/time for doing the test is not paid (as you maybe think "if he test more products he could get more money"...).

22. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Then how in the world can we get some money to AV-Comparatives without compromising its integrity? Maybe AV-C could offer something like the VirusBulletin -- a paid subscription email that gives advance notice of test results or something like that. Or even a periodic email that teaches about security, testing, etc. I would gladly pay for just about any kind of subscription AV-C might offer.

Just a thought.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    By the way, I am delighted that Cyberhawk did so well -- I mention this particular app only from the standpoint that it works really really well on my computer, with all my other apps, & is amazingly light on cpu cycles.

As for ViGuard -- I have long been interested in trying this app, but their website is totally in French so I wonder if they are even soliciting business from the part of the planet where I reside?

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

25. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

IBK could take a photo of himself NAKEDo_O and raffle it off to the highest bidder:shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.