AV-Comparatives Test Overview - May 2005

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Alantir, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

And KAV is still the only one that gets the higest mark (Advanced+/green) for both on-demand and retrospective scans (feb/may)?

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Yes, seems so.

BTW: yellow??

BTW2: I go eat now and buy some things, when I am back I will maybe start to update the website and deliver the results.

3. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Ooops, I meant green :)

FIXED.

4. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I am back from eating ;)

Visit the websites in my signature...

5. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

What a result for NOD32 again! Thanks for the test, mate!

6. fzxbeetle

fzxbeetle Registered Member

Amazing!!!! 70% for nod32. I love it now.

7. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

As a fan of KAV I can't help but feel envious of that NOD result !!!! :'(

Maybe I'll use my expired NOD32 trial as a backup on-demand scanner just for it's heuristics !!!

8. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

F-Prot made good progression, from 9% to 19% :) BitDefender also did very good ;) :D

9. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Wow, NOD32 dominated everyone in this test. Makes me glad that I didn't renew the SAV licenses this year and took a chance with NOD :)

This test really shows that proactive detection has a long ways to go for most AV companies, as some have real lack-luster results.

10. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I though it is not 1st June yet :p .... lucky i check the site every 2 hours or so... :p

What is NOD doing? Do they want to take over the world or something? :eek:
    With better Trojan Heuristics ( The same sort of standard for Worms and Backdoor ) they could easily pass the 80% mark!!

It is like When you are scrolling from left to right.
    YOU see AntiVir Heuristics fail to catch any ITW while Avast did at least 2. And Avast is improving!. F- Prot is going up to 19% as well. Dr. Web / Mcafee did pretty much the same.

KAV - 49% . A slight improvement from Previous test.
    And Bitdenfnder !!. HIVE Is Doing a good job. - Equivalent to KAV!

ROAR!!! YOU all thought every one is finally catching up to NOD. Then your realize NOD is MILES ahead of THEM. 70%!!!!!

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  11. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Wow nice to see NOD doing so well, makes me glad I own it, and that was the old version that was tested! And looking at AVG, man I am really glad that I ditched it for NOD. I am very surprised with Bitdefender, they are really becoming a great AV, now if they could just do that without having to run 6 things at startup!

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

NOD32 still doesn't have a competitor, KAV keeps the same, BitDefender made a very good job, AntiVir disappoint me a bit, and AVG say that have heuristics but it's very very poor...

13. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

It is indeed very nice to see these results and to see that all top-rated AVs are improving so well. I myself am a KAV user, and while I have seen other AVs penetrated on my machines and my friends', I have never seen anyone penetrate KAV. Ditto, it is rare to hear of malware penetrating NOD32 (though I still have some reservations - possibly unfounded - concerning their trojan detection capabilities at this time).

I think we are reaching a point were all top-rated AVs are nearing equality and differentition will probably be in other areas of preventative defenses, which while redundant, will add extra layers of protective filtering. It is nice to know that overall everything is excellent among top-rated AVs. Now if only the "market leader" can get its act together. There lies, I believe, the biggest problem.

Rich

14. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

In the forums on the av-comparatives website there is a retrospective comparison of F-Secure, Norman and ArcaVir. They look like they perform reasonably well.

15. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I think some people are getting a bit over excited by the results. Remember this is a "PROACTIVE" test - an AV (2 months out of date) scanning viri that has appeared since the last database update.

There's no point praising an AV that scores (say) 50% if it's detection is still the same with the latest database update. I'm not saying that has happened but it could. IBK himself states that a low score is not neccessarily a worry.

I am not knocking IBKs great work (I like these tests) just pointing out what the test is really about.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

AntiVir and AVG lack good packers support... Especially AVG heuristics are pretty much useless on packed malware,but AntiVir is also facing a similar problem...

17. muf

muf Registered Member

Pity that Panda and it's Truprevent aren't in the test. From what i hear, it blows NOD32 away with it's success at heuristic detection. I'm a NOD32 user so i'm happy with NOD's performance. Still would have liked to see Truprevent tested. Here's a recent thread at BBR about it. http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13508670

It has piqued my curiousity.

muf

18. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I'm kinda confused at what these new tests mean. I have never doubted that NOD32 was a great AV but it seems like there are a lot of people that are jumping on the NOD bandwagon. Is there a reason for this? Is it really that much better than Dr Web?

I purchased my Dr Web license not too long ago after reading forums. I was told it was among the best, if not the best, while using litttle resources. NOD32 is not intended to be an anti-trojan, right? I know they recently released 2.5 but have there really been that many changes, other that spyware/malware detection. Also, 2.5 uses more resources, right?

I'm not trying to start another NOD versus Dr Web flame war, that has been done to death, I guess I'm just concerned, and probably needlessly, about my system protection. Should I switch to NOD, if indeed it is that much better; which judging by reaction to this test, it appears to be. Or am I fine with Dr Web?

19. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

If u r jhappy with Dr Web stay with it until the expiration of your lisence and then u decide. I havent tried dr web, im a nod32 user but pls let me tell u smt: Is u that u will decide what antivirus suits you, what is the best for you.

20. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Err,did all you people really read and understand those tests.Mcafee under esset,Nod under Symantec.Seems a virus printed those results.Stuffed if I can understand them.

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

What test were you looking at? NOD finished number one in all four summaries.

Acadia

22. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

No,I mean how do you line up the summaries.I must be dyslexic,can't line any results up.

23. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Did I read right? NOD32 scored 90% on ITW (of new pro-active)?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  24. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Please read everything on the site, not just the numbers!
    I can not do more than write things in bold and underline and to provide reports and a huge FAQ document. Why some peoples still do not take 30 seconds to read some lines? :doubt:

---
    NOTE: All products detects with updated signatures/programs most of the samples used in this test (and 100% of the ITW-samples) - Please update your scanner as often as possible in order to be protected!
    ---

we are talking about the retrospective test of May2005:
    6. Retrospective/ProActive Test May 2005 Online results / PDF (Zip) / Report

25. !!!!

!!!! Guest

Are you using Firefox ;) Try with another browser, or download the PDF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.