AV-Comparatives Results - Nov 2007 Retrospective/ProActive Test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

who is being bias?

3. Arup

Arup Guest

The one who teaches and preaches example:rolleyes:

4. Don johnson

Don johnson Registered Member

I still don't understand why disables fortinet's heuristic,only it will cause many fps?Wow,fortinet's heuristic means flag packers,some AV also use this way(use heuristic/signature to flag packers) to detect virus,but they have many whitelists.I think it only detects packers,not true virus.I want to know if fortinet adds many whitelists like them,it will get ADVANCED+?I think Andreas should add more fp samples from users(home users and business users).

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you obviously did not read my post if you think i was being bias.

o_O

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, Fortinet recieves 1000+ FP's.

if an AV with 10 gets lowered to Standard, Fortinet has no chance, so they are disabled to give them a fighting chance.

obviously, they didnt fight all that well, with just 3% detected.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

I don't think you did either:(

8. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Re: Av-Comparatives Results

Could not agree more. I have never had a fp with Avira on 60gb of data and files that change frequently. Extremely high risk user-no http fps of any kind, etc.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

there is nothing bias in my post,

you have seen my post and automatically thought im bashing Avira.
    *lol*

Your reply is just automatic, you should ask yourself why i would challenge 19 FP's when drweb scored 35?

o_O

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  10. Arup

Arup Guest

Re: Av-Comparatives Results

Correct, apart from my router and Avira, I have nothing else, I am high risk as well as I use P2P. The only consolaiton is I use Opera for my browser and mail.

11. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

1 post removed and 1 edited.

Let's stop the name calling and act like adults, ok?

It's getting old people...

snowbound

12. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

1 more post removed.

Stop! or this thread will be closed!

snowbound

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Its not automatic, its evident, you come with a fictitious number of 16FPs from 50 files, thats absurd in every sense. Also btw, the number of FP is 16 and not 19, don't be making false numbers just because you hate the product so vehemently.

14. AshG

AshG Registered Member

One thing is certain, there is a bevy of high-quality solutions out there to choose from. Many people in many different AV fan camps have reasons to be proud of their product's improvements.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its clear you dont understand what an example is, i did try to help you.

there was no bias in my post, just stating to you that the FP test is infact a different test and not based on the same amount.

again, you fail to understand this.

o_O

16. Arup

Arup Guest

Just because I don't see your way nor the world does doesn't mean we don't understand your bias in every sense. If its anyone who needs help, its you, definitely not me. A ludicrous example doesn't make any comparative sense here in the context of the tests. If I or others are to say that we prefer the high number of detection and are prepared to live with the 16 FPs, does that mean we are wrong and you are correct?

17. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

I think you misunderstood Arup. He never said that the 16 fp were taken from the 25000 samples. He said that he accepts some false positives for a higher detection rate.
    Anyway the number of file in the clean files testset was quite large (see questions 9 and 75 in the methodology.pdf), not 50.

18. Arup

Arup Guest

:) :)

Muchas Gracias Señor.

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i havnt misunderstood anything ggf,

if he can understand that my comment, was just an example.

and i can understand that he finally understands that the fp test is a different amount of files, and not the 25k tested.

then thats fine, all is well. ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  20. IBK

IBK AV Expert

the experienced users that do not care about false positives are able to see which product score highest for them.
    for the rest of normal users who care about FP's are prefer a product on which verdict they can rely on more they will also see how the product score.
    the results are quite transparent and also why some got standard etc., so there is for anyone something to read. the argument that with e.g. a heuristic setting set to low it would be a+ is not a good argument, because then you should also think about how that product would have scored in august (e.g. a standard or A there instead of A+). As soon as products are able to keep the FP rate much lower (which should not be that hard based on the clean set used) and provide also a high proactive detection rate, they will be able to be very proud of the score and award reached; changing the scoring system now to make some products look better would not be very fair (and not something that I would do).

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont think any of the products give a huge amount of FP's to be lowered.

i dont think 16, or 35 or even <100 is enough to be lowered if the test includes a few thousand files (or more) , i just dont think its very many.

well, maybe 100 is too much ... but 10 certainly to me seems too low if a few thousand are checked.

but hey, thats just me.

22. Arup

Arup Guest

IBK,

Exactly my point, I can live with FPs but not low detection. Avira also has extended threat category which can lead to FPs as well, point is its better to get FPs and check out the file itself than go blind and happy by the fact that the AV didn't commit any FPs and yet let a virus through.

23. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Then logically we (and you) would take the greatest detection rate coupled with a "reasonable" number of FP's. Then the deduction would be Avira as the most efficacious member of this club. That is what we have been saying. If you don't like Avira-fine. But it gets the bad guys with a manageable number of FP's (in my view).

24. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

it may be better for u because you are an experienced user who distinguishes a good from a bad file. but dont forget that most users install antivirus programs hoping they will never need to deal with popups about detections and fp's are even worse.

25. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

The detection numbers may be transparent, but the rating system is not. I would strongly prefer if the rating system is announced *before* the testing is even started, ie. how much % you have to detect to score std, adv, adv+ and how many false positives are "few", "many" and so on.

Adjusting the rating system with every new test is not transparent at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.