AV-Comparatives Results - Nov 2007 Retrospective/ProActive Test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Jeff,

That's OK.
    But assuming that the danger is so great, what would Stefan and you suggest to stay safe?

It is OK to disagree with me. Each individual has the right to be wrong.:D :D

Added
    It would be interesting to know about those folks who have all the malware on their computers whether they have AVs, etc that are kept up to date or what was the cause of such infections?

Best,
    Jerry

2. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Paranoia sells security products and the vendors know it. It might be good to know for purposes of full disclosure, how much conflict of interest there is on this forum. That is, how many of those that argue there is a large amount of undetected malware on your computer benefit monetarily from such a premise?

3. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Very funny indeed :)

You are simply naive :D but as I said it can be much more comfortable to live in the matrix than to look beyond the walls.. people love to build the most beautiful houses and feel extremely happy exactly above the abyss of hell. :cool:

I totally agree as I already said people create most beautiful buildings and live easy without the awareness to reside just one step away from hell.

That amplifies all what we already discussed to the max. :D :D :D :D :D

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Personally, I do not question anyone's motives, but I do believe there is a degree of paranoia among us.
    I do not doubt that if an expert targeted me in particular, that he could get into my computer. But there is no reason to target me indivudually.

However, I (maybe in ignorance) do not accept that malware can get on my computer and remain undetected considering that I am behind a NAT router, have one of the best AV suites, have among the best AS applications, and scan several times per week with my AV and at least one of the other applications.

I guess I will just go along in La La Land and take what comes until I see evidences that all is as bad as presented by some, and find out whether or not there is a practicable way to avoid/overcome the threats.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. dNor

dNor Registered Member

After years of security, this is basically how I am now as well. Configure my hardware/software defenses properly, update regularly, and scan on a regular basis. Common sense and experience also bolsters it, and there's been little security threat happenings on my systems because of it all.

Research and choose what suits you best, use intelligent practices to keep those defenses optimal, and enjoy your computer. Constantly changing hardware/software or worrying about every new test or piece of malware got tiring for me a while ago. :)

6. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

You simply read not exactly what RkU developer proclaimed. He showed all many ways to bypass your best (klif-slow-down) suite, he wrote papers how all anti-rootkits can easily bypassed.. you think your router is safe? What language does your router speak? Ever thought about? Maybe Javascript... Router means nothing, absolutely nothing, Kaspersky is no guarantee and also your SAS is very slow.
    You have many brakes on your system and you should check your router, it can easily become owned... admin admin.. ;-)

7. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Don't let them win. They have no evidence of mass infections- just assertions and assertions are only assertions- not facts. Some of my programmers worked for several large AV companies, and it was common knowledge that the companies were promoting paranoia to increase sales. Looks like it worked real well.

8. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Yeah all is good. Especially when now a days system you buy or build is already rigged with hardware sold to you. In a nut shell its unavoidable the BEAST. Crazy part is no software can fight off or get rid of something thats originally part of the system(s) hardware, and it behaves as it should. :D Yeah I don't worry about such beasts created by malware writers as much as the parts that I buy that already is the BEAST. :blink:

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

HI SystemJunkie,

No I have not read the papers. I probably could not understand them if I did.
    I don't know anything about routers, don't know about computer and router languages, and somehow I remain malware free.

I appreciate the expertise of many of you and the developers. That is the way I continue to feel safe. I believe I have a much greater chance of an accident the next time I go somewhere in my auto than to get infected, and there be no symptoms. I don't worry about a car accident to the extent that I am afraid to travel. I just try to be as careful as I can.

I remain content in the knowledge that many very bright developers work constantly on computer security. I realize that, like weapons systems, when one finds a way to counter the threat, the threat develops further to overcome the defense.
    That is just the way things are, and I accept that and do not spend time and energy worrying about things I cannot change or do much about.

Have a good day. I have pretty well expressed what I think about the subject, and am content to leave it there.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. IBK

IBK AV Expert

how long will this OT go on?

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Given the direction of the discussion here, which has veered off of the nominal thread topic a couple of times and really not managed to return to the primary subject for a somewhat extended period of time, let's call this thread complete and close it down here.

Feel free to continue any of the excursions in a thread devoted to that particular topic.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.