AV-Comparatives: Real-World Protection Test - February 2018

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PEllis, Mar 15, 2018.

1. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

I still wouldn't open it. I would email the employee and say "Did you send me a document?" It's not rocket science.

There has been a scam going on here in Canada recently with overseas phone numbers calling a cell and letting it ring once and hanging up. When the person calls back this supposed missed call, they get charged for calling the number. If you call that number, well, then you deserve to be charged. Again, common sense. It's people causing the issue. I wouldn't call back an overseas number or any number for that sake that didn't leave me a message and was not someone I knew or something that pertained to me.

Inquisitive people are getting burned, but if they simply showed some common sense, then these types of scams and phishing would go away.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

You say that, but employees send each other documents all day long and if everyone stopped to ask each other if it is legitimate the boss would have a cow over the lost time. Plus the employee that sent it was not in due to schedules overlapping. Ideals vs. reality is not the same thing. Stuff happens. That is not ever going to change. If it was all that easy this site would not exist.

3. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

So often I see on these boards that the burden has been passed on to the User for being careless and not the Security Solution for being inadequate. I suppose the corollary to this is that a Computer User does not need any protection as they should have some Divine Innate Knowledge to avoid anything that compromises the system.

4. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Fair enough.

5. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Nope, not at all. But some common sense and avoid being clicky-McClicky on links they don't know are valid and most issues can simply be avoided. Not all, but most. Free AV protection for the rest and boom, you are protected. Some of the onus has to be on the user to use their brain.

6. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Yeah. That's the problem with WD and F-Secure.

7. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

+1

I am not one of those people who ignore or "pretend to not notice" the performance impact of security software, if the system is noticebly dragging with it installed, then regardless of the security capability it gets removed of my rig. ESET is the baseline I compare against, which given its about the fastest in the industry its no wonder I find most a/v unacceptable.

I havent even had eset installed for 6 months because I am struggling to even justify an a/v at all, to me most protection is common sense and configuring the OS itself to be hardened, as well as the browser. Maybe an exploit blocker for memory exploits of which I use HMPA.

8. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Is Microsoft AV free or Paid also is it just AV or all in one Security Suite

9. shadek

shadek Registered Member

It is free. It's also a security suite in the aspect that it has a firewall, protected folders, exploit defenses and so on.

10. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

Only in win10 tho right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.