AV-Comparatives: Real-World Protection Overall Report - March to June 2014

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by anon, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

+1! :thumb:

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

How does Panda score against PUPs today? I'm asking this cause during my own tests of v2.x it let many through.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

FP picking up in Trend Micro and McAfee.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes even F-Secure got downgraded because of FPs. At my work we get a lot of calls from our customers because Avast quarantined our software or some program component (usually dll). I'm quite surprised it got 0 FPs in this test.

5. blasev2nd

blasev2nd Registered Member

congrats panda, another good result

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

So, the essence is that the test set is too small to justify the average performance of any antimalware. So, all of us should take such results with a grain of salt.

7. anon

anon Registered Member

So, that is the worlds largest Real-World Test of Internet Security Products

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I wouldn't say that. At my work I'm in specific situation - I support users of our proprietary software. It is not widely used software so some AVs sometimes detect it as FP.

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I agree that AVC uses the largest test set but that is too small compared to the actual number of new malware samples evolving everyday and the number of existing clean executable files (huge).
    Ref: An old inforgraphic report from McAfee reports that new malware samples increased 44x in 2012 from 2011 and also it increased 35% from Q3 (10M) to Q4 (12M) of 2012. Now, its an old data back from 2012.

10. anon

anon Registered Member

..... but that's how the statistics works.

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I know but this is why the perception about a product varies from user to user.

12. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

13. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Rubbish.

14. FreddyFreeloader

I see you on the boards over there - if it's rubbish, why?
    Have YOU done any testing to back up your assertion? Why not? See for yourself, don't be spoon fed.

15. FleischmannTV

Have you done any testing as to the prevalence and behaviour of the malware?

16. FreddyFreeloader

My tests are over there - I know you troll MapwareTips, you as a member of MalwareTips should know that. Where's all your tests and reviews? Bty - I just posted your comment. Expect a warm welcome.

17. malware1

malware1 Registered Member

If a file doesn't exist in the real world, then how do I get it?

18. Sher

Sher Registered Member

Btw, why do you even care about what he said? He knows nothing about testing or stuff like that.

19. FleischmannTV

I am not the one accusing AV-Comparatives and the participants of their tests of criminal behaviour without proof. And no, I don't consider a bunch of people and their premature playful relationship with security software as a reliable source of information.

20. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

To be fair, despite my high opinion of AVC, McAfee got better results there than what a lot of user complaints about poor detection would suggest at some point (old heavy Norton doesn't count because it did poorly at heuristics), meaning even they badly screw up from time to time. Not to mention even amateur tests are better than the likes of AVT.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some off topic posts removed.

Let's keep this thread on topic and civil. Avoid attacking each other for any reason.

22. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Yes somehow this bytetrash exists but it doesn't mean that this file is spread. There are enough sites and malware play-samples but only for internal testing, files that are never itw or affect real customers.

It was shown often enough that those everyday test packs like you see for example on malwaretips contain some trash, some harmless files (even installers of other AVs :D), files that itw don't exist in that form. Beside that often the only way for the self-called testers to identify a file as malware is if some AVs (most HMP or MBAM) detects it. Yes, very valid...come on.

Those tests are good to see some popups and get an impression of how products work, but they can not be used to compare detection rates or to compare with professional tests that use reliable prevalence data.

23. malware1

I don't put installers of other AVs, are you sure it was my pack? I can recognize an AV installer from a malicious file, I don't say a harmless toolbar is a rootkit... I can see how many files are really malicious and which are clean based on replies from AV vendors.

Here's Avira: https://analysis.avira.com/en/overview?uniqueid=F74zKbvYHp491yPH50LsEPK3H9rpGD2g

The files used for testing by AV-Comparatives are delivered by AV vendors, so they can add everything. Note that I don't upload malware packs for testing purpose, but to submit undetected files to security companies. Although these YouTube tests aren't the best vector to check if an AV is good, they're still much better than the tests done by AV-Comparatives.

I still don't understand how I upload files that never affect real customers...

24. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Where did you get that "info" from?
    Because random files from random sources on malc0de etc. didn't necessarily propagate and actually end up on end-user machines, users other than some people who reverse engineer them for a hobby. (or folks like you who input them in your browser url)

25. malware1

Not sure, most likely from AV-Comparatives' site. This is known for a long time.
    I don't use malc0de or any malicious URL lists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.