AV-Comparatives Performance Test Apr-2020

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Spartan, May 8, 2020.

1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

avg, yes, so it has always been. but avast used to be a decent av sw back in the day.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

My experience is with Kaspersky Internet Security and Avira Pro, I have never used free editions. I've used Avira Pro since 2007 and I've never been infected. Unlike other people's opinion, I have no idea if KIS or Avira Pro would totally protect my system from malware in all possible contingencies, I rely on virtualization and imaging programs for 100% security. An AV is just an identifier if malware can be identified, and the only quick way (along with VirusTotal for super paranoids) to check downloads for anomalies. The reason of my choice is the high standards of detection through the years with testing companies like AV Comparatives.

I also have 8 GB of RAM on 3 Win10 laptops (2 i7 and 1 i5), and even though KIS and Avira are faster than WD, it is hardly noticeable. About 3 years ago from memory WD was definitely heavier, it seems reasonable nowadays.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVG was just fine before the merger. After Avast took over, it took a turn for the worse.

4. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I really wonder why Kaspersky is always good in performance tests but always fat and slow on my computer. :(

5. Marcelo

Marcelo Registered Member

It probably conflicts with something in your computer either other software you have running or drivers. It would require a lot of testing to discover what and is causing it. It's also known to be slower in older hardware, mainly in computers with low RAM capacity.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  6. tutman

tutman Registered Member

What amount of memory do you have? Also might help under scan settings go to the advanced settings tab and under scan optimization change to scan only new and recently changed files after an initial full scan of course.

7. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

Same here

8. ance

ance formerly: fmon

A lot of memory, a fast cpu, ssd harddrive ... I think there must be something wrong with Kaspersky source code. :( Bitdefender and Panda are very light, so I don't need a new computer now. ;)

9. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

I agree with these results.

I have Kaspersky and Avira too. On other PC/Laptops, I installed Avira so I can monitor in my dashboard.

For my personal Laptop, I have KTS and it is good too.

Both have almost the same results.

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed, we actually used to use AVG. From my understanding since the Avast takeover they are the same code base with a different UI. Correct or not, after the Piriform takeover and the issues there I don't trust any of these products.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.