AV-Comparatives Malware Removal Test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Interesting test buy next time can you folks add Rising Antivirus to the test grid!

2. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Were the malware samples used in the tests new or have they been around for awhile?
    Because if they've been around for awhile then the results are horrible.
    I don't know as much as many of you but I just have the feeling that we're being fed a lot of bull from all of the av companies regarding their abilities to protect us.
    I think that protection should include keeping the demons off of a computer, recognizing the malware and cleaning the pc completely.
    If the malware is new then I don't even know what to say.
    I guess I'm just pretty disgusted by what I read at AV Comparatives.
    Hugger

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hugger.

Page 5 of the pdf report from av-comparatives lists the malware that was used for the test.
    It's stuff that's "well-known" and already detected.

4. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Which would happen if you had your AV installed and enabled and then tried to infect your pc....as opposed to infecting the pc and then going for removal afterwards :)

I think those results are typical for the av industry as a whole- the main executables of an infection will be removed, but traces will remain in some cases. If these traces cause some sort of problem with a pc (e.g. Disabled windows updates, annoying error messages), then that is what your AV Tech Support is there for- to assist you in cleaning up any remenants and getting your pc back into shape.

5. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Well that's how it's done.. These test only tell you which one should be the best but in real user world it's a different story. These test sites just don't do the ideal user who has his or her AV and didn't update the product so more pest go onto the system don't run Ccleaner or FCleaner, never scan the system for virus, worms, Trojans, spyware, adware, downloadware, malware an etc.. Still I rather test for myself and see what works and what does. Good to share this info here as well all here have our own that we all prefer to use daily.

Again if you going to test AV need to test the free and pay plus those that are not heard of either like Rising. Just not about the majors leagues the minor leagues can also do a very good job too.

6. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

OK. I should just KISS and ask if you feel that, with known malware, the results of the test are acceptable performance for your families pc.
    Hugger

7. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Avast sucks more than one might think. The review found that if ANY active malware is found, u have to reboot. Wow!

8. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Huh?o_O You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ye really... ive had avast remove viruses that wer running without a reboot, although sometimes no matter what u do a reboot IS needed, but not for everything.

10. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

In fact, Avast sucks less that one might think because (thanks to Web Shield and Network Shield) probably would not be in the situation that the malware can reach the pc at all.

I have respect for this test but the test applies only to a small part of what a modern antivirus can do.

11. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

This was my point above that HTTP scanning may prevent malware being written to the hard drive.

12. Zombini

Just quoting what is says in the review. I dont want to post the quote here, but you can read it in the report. I have nothing against avast

13. IBK

IBK AV Expert

The report says "it ... suggests". It does not say "require". That's not negative.

14. as1m

as1m Registered Member

I must congratulate MSE. Looking quite decent (relativley speaking) in the removal department.:thumb:

15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Ok I'm just going to state this because comments like this are just idiotic.

Who gives a flying whoop if you have to reboot the computer to remove some maleware found. Quite honestly if your infected and you have to reboot the computer to finish removing the ACTIVE process who the hell cares. People that come and post stupid crap like this have no clue how ether a computer's OS works or how AV's work. :cautious:

16. Boost

Boost Registered Member

It's gets brought up alot around here,about rebooting a computer to get rid of malware,like it's a big deal. Quite hilarious what some people post around here.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is always interesting to know which AV is suitable to remove malware, as even I as an amateur have managed to clean several computers with good results (I'm not particularly keen, as it is boring and time consuming).

Finding malware on my machines (never happened since I joined Wilders) would trigger the following actions: I would uninstall forever my current AV (if any) and restore the most recent image as the AV-Comparative has shown that even the best "cleaners" do leave some crap in the registry.

Detection and denial of access is IMO the first commandment of any top notch AV, I would probably excuse my AV once but not twice. Total removal can only be done by restoring an image.

18. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I forgot to write this in the report :doubt:

19. Zombini

Oh no.. now I dont know which is worse "Avast sucks more than one might think. The review found that if ANY active malware is found, u have to reboot. Wow!" or the above.

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I didn't mean to sound sarcastic, I really do appreciate your work.

21. Sher

Sher Registered Member

eScan beats them all. Awesome!!!

22. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Just how did you come to that "brilliant" conclusion smart guy?

23. Sher

Sher Registered Member

Dude, go and read the last three reports by AV-Comparatives!

Its results are the best. I use NIS 2010 though.

24. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol.......

25. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.