AV-Comparatives Firewall Test 03/2014

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by FleischmannTV, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

Yes but I am talking about controlling the behaviour of programs that you use that are allowed to execute and run. How can you use software if you don't allow it to execute and run? So going back to my original question given the fact that windows firewall doesn't have a decent HIPS how does all the windows firewall lovers prevent programs from piggy backing on other programs to connect out?

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Reminder: magazine wanted products tested with default settings. All products were tested with default settings, as described in the report (the report also contains some hint what happens when you block NetBios in Outpost). The test is easy to verify and retest: just disable the learn mode and try it out to see if it makes a difference...

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

@IBK, Permanent Auto-Learn is NOT a default setting in Outpost. Please see posts 47-49 on page 2 of this thread.

4. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I just downloaded and installed it again - it is default setting. It even goes to permanent Auto-Learn if you click to reset the settings to default.

5. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Thank you, IBK. While it has not been my experience as it's normally rules wizard, I do believe you.
    It's just for the first reboot so those booting related rules can be made by Outpost.
    Aha, the plot thickens, see post #77 - it's an option.

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Unfortunately we had to test using only default settings. I guess several products (which offer many settings) can be hardened by experienced users - but that was not the scope of the test, and in some cases (please try yourself as I will not name them), some products would anyway not pass those simple tests even if you play with the settings. Some vendors identified already their bugs and will release fixes, some vendors are still investigating and some will always deny any faults [and eventually fix it silently if bothered to do so] (so it would be good if users would try those simple tests and report them to the vendors too if the products do not behave as expected).

7. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

well, almost a month passed - so what's the conclusion ?

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I do not like this because I did not tick the box that said, "Trust Network" when my network was detected, but since I had previously trusted the network at some point in the past OA trusted the network anyways highlighting the network in Yellow. I have been using OA for months now thinking the network was not trusted as it should not have been trusted because I did not tick the box labeled, "Trust Network". This is a real problem. You should give 2 boxes. I think the boxes should be as the following: Home Network (Trusted), and Public Network (Not Trusted). If Online Armor prompts the user again saying their network has been detected, and the user chooses not to trust the network then the network should not be trusted regardless if the user trusted the network at some point in the past. If you don't want to give the 2 box options I have recommended then OA should at least not trust the network if the user does not tick the box to trust it when prompted. I can reproduce this behavior 100% of the time. I have tried this over, and over with the same result. I hope you will make the changes I have recommended because I really do feel they are needed. If OA should not have trusted the network in the circumstances I have just described then OA has a pretty significant bug from a security stand point of view. If it is a bug then let me know, and I will start a tracker (bug report) on it. Also, if you need a tracker for the changes that I have recommended then let me know, and I will do that as well.

9. Shiri

Shiri Registered Member

10. Stregobor

Stregobor Registered Member

Can anyone tell me what about Comodo? Did it failed completely or was not in test. And if it failed what was the reason? Default settings or it is just not so good as everyone thinks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.