Av-Comparatives February '08

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Abeltje, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Where is it? Shouldn't it be out by now?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

These are tests made in February 2008 , results are always published the next month (so we should expect results on 01 March 2008 ) . Perhaps QA of August 2007 test-set & corrections article will appear soon

3. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Nope, not until 1'st of march 08

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

And it's a leap year so it means an extra day of waiting...:rolleyes: :eek: :D

5. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Oh ok, then let's wait for 1 more month...

6. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

no acutally, it comes out on 29 feburary, 11:31pm. :D serious.

7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Hi
    Do your lives revolve around tests run on AV software?bet none of you can sleep with anticipation!(lol)

8. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

For some, apparently.
    "AV-comparatives proactive test predictions" thread yielded >100 posts!
    The "results" thread prompted 286 posts.
    I guess it's understandable that some here are passionate.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Looking forward to this coming round and to what it will bring. The overall view may tighten up a little bit and make it very interesting, as always.:)

10. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Even more interesting considering some of the exchanges in the recent "DrWeb and AV Comparatives" thread.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well personally, I am looking forward to some new blood being tested.

12. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

The arguments against av-comparatives by a certain individual had many holes, and I wouldn't take them seriously.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Those arguments aren't forth much even though some of them were posted by experts. If some AVs could show a steady track record and also improvements (not that small ones), why others can't? Yes, garbage files. Very bad excuse.
    Waiting new results patiently. They were always very useful, realistic and objective. Something i always expect (and get) from IBK.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Very true RejZor.

15. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I see this thread traveling down the "is this reputable" path. I am not laying any blame anywhere, but the damage is done. I hope that the differences can be rectified and everyone use these tests as they are intended; that is being a piece of the larger picture to help you make an informed decision.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

are the av companies really gonna disclose
    thier information on a public forum?

17. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I don't suppose so, but why would this be private and all hushed up if the grievances are legitimate?

Even more importantly, why would obviously incorrect statements be offered as the explanation?

No wonder the AV companies are gagging their errant employees. They're revealing too much, especially when you read between the lines.

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Folks, let's not revive a different discussion/thread over here. Instead, please wait for the results from av-comparatives. There will be enough room to comment on that one when it has arrived.

regards,

paul

19. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Until a mod decides to close the thread, as happens way too often.

20. Paul Wilders

We do run a tight ship over here, and for good reasons. Sorry to hear you are not that happy with this aspect from our board - but that's the way it is and stays.

regards,

paul

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Frankly, with me it's a love/hate relationship...

+++I hate tight management (especially if I'm one of the ones getting managed)
    BUT
    +++I love the fact that this forum minimizes spam, trolls, personal insults, & mis-information
    ERGO
    +++Net result is a friendly community of helpful & (in many cases) knowledgeable folks.

Since the above comments were a tad OT, I hasten to add...

I am really looking forward to VBA32 being included in AV-C's tests. I am convinced that VBA's inclusion will ultimately enhance their already "decent" detection rates.

22. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Well, it could be worse! They could be deleting all "thorny" and "uncomfortable" discussions, that the "plebes" shouldn't know about. Some things, better keep them under the carpet.

Well, it's in the TOS "Further, by posting you grant Wilders Security Forums perpetual and non-exclusive right to copy, display, modify, alter, delete, transmit, and distribute any content posted by you."

But, seeing which discussions are being locked or deleted, can be educative too. ;)

23. Paul Wilders

Right gents, now let's get back on track/topic ;)

regards,

paul

24. the insider

the insider Registered Member

can't wait to see what Avast! will do in this new test. I've got the strong impression that it's improved a lot (I ran a scan with Kaspersky and it didn't find any bugs compared to Avast!). The only thing that keeps slipping in are trojans... that's the only weak point I found until now ... but let's wait and see shall we?

25. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Tests like AV Digestives are becoming more and more irrelevant when used to test modern AV products. They only test one aspect.. flat file scanning. A user doesn't copy a million malicious files to the disk. In doing so you bypass most layers of a product's protection.

Marx is at least making some effort to change his testing methodology.. hopefully Clementi will follow or very soon the AMTSO will start discrediting the test results of anyone that doesn't conform.

I for one know that for my kind of internet usage where I never open exes, products that excel in fast turnaround on sigantures/heuristic etc are of no value. I want the best protection against vulnerabilities both in the browser and in 3rd party ActiveX and 3rd party Applications. Thats because I know that while my machine is up to date with the latest Windows Updates, its next to impossible to know taht every other piece of software on my machine is patched. Therefore IPS and Browser protection are the most important to me.. Av-Comparatives results are irrelevant for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.