AV-Comparatives: Consumer Malware Protection Test March 2022

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Minimalist, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://www.av-comparatives.org/consumer-malware-protection-test-march-2022/

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Looks like it sucks to be Panda. It must be a different staff than a few years ago.

3. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Yes, it is pretty much another company, Pedro Bustamente (ex Senior Research Advisor & VP Product Management) left the company many years ago and it is going downhill since then.

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Yup. Such a shame since Pedro left. It used to be a decent product.

5. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

Looks like Trend Micro didn't exactly set the world on fire this time around the block either.

6. imdb

imdb Registered Member

96 fp's. :eek: what have you done, panda? :eek:

7. anon

anon Registered Member

8. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

weird how it seems like I'm the only one who has never EVER gotten a false positive with Panda :rolleyes:

I care more about real world results not these artificial results that don't represent every day real-world scenarios.

9. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

No doubt a valid point.

10. Minimalist

You're lucky.
    We use it at work and I get FP detection almost every time I update applications. Since we use Endpoint protection it's real PITA to whitelist installer. And sometimes it wouldn't even show blocked event on portal even after syncing, so you have to wait for a day or two until Panda decides that installer is OK.
    This FP result is exactly in line with my experience.

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Both camps cannot be right since they are contradictory. So there must be a variable to explain it. I have Panda, but it slowed down my machine even though AV Comparatives claimed it had minimal impact. I don't use it as a result.

12. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

Weird, I've tested it on several laptops and it was the lightest of them all, next was NOD32 in terms of lightness.

13. Minimalist

Well regarding system slowness it's the lightest AV that I've used. At least on my system.
    IMO Panda had FP issues with software that is not used by many users.

14. anon

anon Registered Member

Sometimes a FP create damages greater than a malware does.

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

While I haven't used it for some time, when I was using Panda I have very few false positives. I'm someone who is regularly downloading new and little known software.

16. Minimalist

IDK why I've had problems while updating software. Maybe we use some non-default settings, that create so much problems.
    On my system updates that were blocked in last few months were installers for Notepad++, WinMerge and LinPhone. They were usually whitelisted a day or two latter but it was still PITA to have installation process blocked.

17. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes it's always a hassle when something is blocked that shouldn't be. Maybe Panda has more false positives now than when I used it. But even when I was using it, it wasn't faring well for false positives when tested.

18. moredhelfinland

moredhelfinland Registered Member

Some AV solutions block the offending process, but not the parent/children process of it. Especially if you set up your AV to "Ask" mode. It waits for your input, while offending parent/children processes are damaging your system in the background.
    So "auto-block" is recommended. And a solution that can "roll-back". The best i've used was McAfee Endpoint and its Dynamic Application Containment (DAC, kind of a sandbox) and it's roll-back feature(basic or advanced roll-back).
    Took about two weeks to configure McAfee ENS for my liking. Default settings of McAfee ENS is really bad, really bad. Anyway, it's the best security product i've ever used, protection wise(when properly configured). Too bad it is heavy on resources.

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I think it's important to consider what the AV does AFTER it auto-blocks. Does it quarantine the supposedly nasty file, or does it delete it? AVs can sometimes FP a vital file, delete it, & thereby cause a troublesome computer problem. If the AV quarantines the FP file (instead of deleting it), it's usually pretty easy to fix things.

HOWEVER, if one faithfully images her/his system drive, then auto-block is A-OK under any circumstances (IMO).

20. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Images are they key to everything and are actually the best AV there is. Something went haywire a few weeks ago and my main computer slowed to a crawl. I needed to get back up to speed fast and I simply restored from a Windows image file created by windows. I restored 350GB in about 20 minutes good as before.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.