AV-comparatives August2005 results released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Nice to see that McAfee still scored very high and did very well on these tests, since my McAfee subscription lasts another 9 months or so :D

Being one of the top 4 or 5 AVs seperated in most instances by mere fractions of a percentage point in a highly competitive and ultra necessary field is definitely a good thing. Congrats to Kaspersky, NOD, BitDefender, Norton and McAfee for scoring the highest and best overall in these tests (and most importantly, to the users of these products)....

2. waters

waters Registered Member

Antivir seems to be pulling away in front, now of the free ones.The big updates did increase detection afterall.

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

If I looked right, the best performers to increase detection rate in category "Total without DOS & other OS" were:

1. BitDefender
    2. AntiVir
    3. NOD
    4. AVG

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Per IBK's request below, I have edited and removed material from this post:

Sorry IBK.....I merely took the link that you provided, and copied the results so that people visiting this particular thread in which you had pasted the actual link could referrence them in an easy fashion, that's all. I certainly wasn't trying to discourage anyone from visiting the particular link, because the percentages I removed didn't reveal anything in depth or detail, only the final test results.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  5. IBK

IBK AV Expert

In future, please avoid to provide the results on other sites/forums. :'(
    EDIT: thank you JRCATES :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  6. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Wow looks like Avast! did pretty well overall and to me it reinforces my decision to purchase it. Appreciate the nice testing you do for us all.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

wow these test results were amazing. all the AV (avg and sophos as an exception) got better than 90 percent. nod32 and norton are right up there with KAV. avast held its own as well.

8. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Hi IBK,

Have you ever tested Fortinet FortiClient against Zoo malware? if so, could you please guide me about its overall detection rates (low, average, high)

The company I work using antivirusfirewall Fortinet FortiGate at network edge and we've evaluated so many corporate AV for our workstations such as AVG, FortiClient, NOD32, Panda, eTrust and we finally conclude that AVG, FortiClient, eTrust are the best 3 solutions for us but we don't know about FortiClient's overall detection rates.

Thanks

9. I sometimes wonder which scores people actually read when they look at the results and make their conclusions. Relatively high overall scores are one thing but if you actually look at the scores for individual categories you may get a different impression altogether eg relatively low AntiVir score on scripts 62% and windows virus 76% , AVAST on scripts 62% and trojans 73%, AVG on scripts 33% and trojans 58%. Reason I use KAV is because it consistently scores 99 plus in every category.

10. You dont mind it scored 62% script and 73% trojan detection?

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I who know nothing,
    If you have KAV + McAfee on your computer, then you have the maximum protection.
    KAV for all kinds of malwares, except the first and last one.
    McAfee takes care about the rest.

12. WSFuser

i dont recommend two AV, better just have KAV and ewido for AT and backup.

13. ErikAlbert

I agree, but this thread is about AV's only.

14. TAP

TAP Registered Member

If I'm not wrong, AV-comparatives on-demand tests AVs against so-called Zoo malware that some of them (or most) are rarely circulating in the wild and you are rarely (or may not) encounter them in real life, if you're not trying to infect yourself by downloading/clicking everything you see on the internet so I think even AVG Free or eTrust EZ would offer an adequate protection.

I believe that AntiVir, AVG, Avast, Trend Micro, Sophos, eTrust will offer the best protection against today's most dangerous malware even it can't score 99% plus in every category.

15. WSFuser

then what do u mean by "kav + mcafee"? just have both and use one resident. theyre both high end as it is.
    i agree, but some people (high risk surfers) do need (or want) teh extra protection provided by an outstanding AV like kav.

also looking at the individual scores rather than teh overall one is different, i may just have another look at the results.

16. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

If people had an idea how AV programs would work technically they would understand those particular scores... :)

The test shows that there is only one choice and that is KAV. However, scanning some "exotic" malware collections (from different geographical regions), even KAV doesn't get above 60% detection sometimes (while other AV's don't even reach 20% then). KAV is the fastest in working up the detection rate as soon they have the collection though.
    Alot of malware we are getting in from our automated analysis system is completely undetected, by all AV programs. On those, NOD32 has quite a good chance to catch because of the excellent heuristics. VBA32 also sometimes catches some sample because of the good variant detection.

In the end, there is no real 100% protection. Even with a fully patched XP SP2 system, with Process Guard (free), Prevx (free) and Firefox, latest JRE I was able to get a goat machine infected visiting some "nasty" web pages. Of this adware/malware, KAV detected the most by far - but it missed a few still.

17. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Geez. Here I am happily rolling along running McAfee VS 10, and now I see NAV out performs it.

I am happy with what I've got, I don't want to switch. I am happy with what I've got, I don't want to switch. I am happy with......................... :p

18. waters

waters Registered Member

Will there be the results for the other ones you have tested like panda,avk,etc

19. IBK

IBK AV Expert

No, sorry, they are only for the av companies.

20. bathisland

bathisland Registered Member

This just makes me happy that I am one of KAV's very satisfied customer :D

21. waters

waters Registered Member

Why did you show results for a seperated test for 03,2005,and not for sept.
    You tested another 5,and showed results.In it panda and fsecure got advanced+

22. IBK

IBK AV Expert

That was an exceptional gift.
    Next year some of them will be included in the regular detailed tests.

23. ErikAlbert

If you look at the detection rates of KAV and McAfee and you compare them with the rest, you will discover that KAV is the very best and what is lesser good in KAV will be compensated by McAfee, which is also the very best in some malware types (the first and the last one).
    So KAV and McAfee TOGETHER beat the rest of the AV scanners in detection rates of all malware types.
    I had it all in full detail to prove it, but my post was removed, because I didn't know about the rule, that nothing of AV-comparatives results can be used in other forums, including Wilders.

So if I was willing to pay for security software, I would buy KAV as main scanner and McAfee as scanner on demand.
    One thing is sure you can't buy them all, which also means that your computer isn't necessarily clean after running KAV and McAfee, because most scanners have a different fingerprint database in quantity and identity.
    If you think, I'm wrong just say it. I'm open for any other vision.
    After all security isn't my strength :)

EDIT:
    Of course this is only valid until the next test in November 2005.
    Maybe AVG will be the big star in November, who knows :cool:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  24. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

^^ Agreed, both KAV and McAfee are excellent products, but you do need to be careful when making statements like the above. I ran a very quick test over my very small (relative to AV Comparatives) virus collection and even after running KAV followed by McAfee, things were still missed - even from my relatively small sample collection (all collected from infected machines, so these are real samples that are in circulation).

As is everyone else, I'm hunting for the holy grail that just isn't out there - one or two products that when used in combination will catch everything. It just doesn't exist. Even running KAV, McAfee, BitDefender, Ewido and a-squared sequentially over my collection reveals samples remaining that are currently detected by none of them and these are all class leading products.

Just my 2 cents :)

Ned

25. ErikAlbert

I think you didn't read my post completely. I mentioned it that KAV + McAfee doesn't guarantee a clean computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.