AV-C Whole Product Dynamic Test Results - May 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by silverfox99, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

Good to see Kaspersky doing well. It has been an excellent AV which I have used on and off for the last 15 years. I like to tinker with other AV's, so I have not always stayed with it. Nothing it has done wrong. I just like to try that grass on the other side of the fence to see if it is tastier ;) KAV has always been up and about at the top. Not always top, but I reckon you would be hard pressed to find a more consistent top performer over the last 10 years.

Paul

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Good job everyone!
    Almost all of them got great scores.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Kaspersky is a superb security program and i never had any issues with it at all.
    I cannot think of 1 reason why im not using it though.....
    I too have ventured to the other side of the fence to see whats out there.

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

"Real world" that just meets certain criteria, in this case the AV-C one for a given time. Only god knows what kind of malware samples and/or simulated environment are being used for these "dynamic" tests and, again, just for that specific test machine at a given time (no pun intended).
    There are a gazillion of computer configurations out in the Milky Way with the same amount of different users with different surfing habits or PCs security measures.
    I certainly wouldn't rely on these kind of tests where the "percentage of effectiveness" of an AV is measured within the range of 1 or 2 "infections" in their own "real world" ranking :cautious:
    Instead, give me on-demand tests anyday.

5. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Only god. And those who can bring themselves to simply just read a PDF on their test setup of course.
    PDF link

FYI, the PDF also mentions exactly which OS and which programs and which versions were installed. And on which hardware tests were done.
    No god-like powers needed to acquire this information...
    I agree that there are a gazillion setups needed to do a real real-world test but as that is impossible for obvious reasons, a real-world-like test still is preferable imo.
    But each his own oc.

Edit; If you don't trust the AV-C WPDT/real-world test, also because you don't know what samples were used, why do you trust their on-demand test from which you also can't know which samples were used.?
    Or do you simply don't trust AV-Comparatives tests at all?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  6. Macstorm

Yeah sir and just for the record, I'm already aware of that documentation since av-c's inception.
    With "simulated environment" I meant the way how malware samples and/or "infected" ("randomly selected" zero-hour threats... zero? collected from?) websites are manipulated while "test" is being conducted. But now that you mention it, I'd really like to have the god-like powers to know what malware samples exactly were chosen for these tests... because when I run my own "reviews" with fresh always up-to-date critters, I am really sure which security apps fail miserably.
    And as for your edited question, I never trusted on the "dynamic" test methodology.

7. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

+1 avira didnt perform well and I already see many fanboys on this thread ragging about test models but wait when avira performs well no one here talks about flaws in dynamic test models..this thread is for discussing the results and not about avira and AV-C flaws,off course there may be some flaws with it which I can take into consideration but this is kind of funky :rolleyes:

Guys,chill calm down!! Relax bros...its just AV software :)

I guess that's what is written in avira's fanboy bible... :rolleyes:

I dont see the reason to get mad at the bad result for avira...ok you posted once about it but what's the deal with posting constantly about test models which dont resemble real life and are only for testing purposes and also 1 thing dynamic test is much better than on demand test because in on-demand only AV engine is used and in dynamic it is the whole package and plus not direct scan over malicious binaries but trying to simulate the real world situation of having AV package on a system and download malware from a URL that a AV can block.

And then,who cares if my AV blocks the URL,and doesnt detect the binary at that point,they will get the binary from virustotal to add to detection anyways :)

But hey,again just chill..its just AV software :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  8. anon

anon Registered Member

The Avira results on AV-C Whole Product Dynamic Test are excluded from the discussion? :p

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Dynamic Test is all it matters. It's what actually keps users secured. On-Demand scans are just a damage control once everything already went south...

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

the results are fine imo as long as it does not become a avira thread like so often happens.. simply state thoughts on its results and end it there.

11. anon

anon Registered Member

How often it happens?

12. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

I am not surprised by Avira's score - it's the score Avira does deserve, sadly.

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yup. so many times people get on the topic of the avira toolbar and other things that it starts a back and forth about it and turns into a avira bashing thread. this thread is to simply speak about the results and for avira to be mentioned imo is fine and i also think they should have done better but i think everyone (and i am not singling anyone out please dont think that) should try to stay on topic and leave everything else about avira over in the avira thread. is pretty much what i meant.

stephan why do you agree that its what they deserve? im really curious. i had to stop using it due to the sleep issues that never got resolved even after sending numerous reports to the tech dept. nothing got done so i have not used it in a while now sadly i miss it but... you are welcome to pm me if you would like.

14. anon

anon Registered Member

Did you saw anything about it here?
    Because all that I can see are few comments about Avira's results on the test.

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well Stefan it would be nice (if you can) to know a little bit more about your discontentment, is it about slow development or marketing choices?

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

The test results are what they are. I trust AV-C. Avira's in a down period but they are still on the right side of the line. I expect a bounce back.

17. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

:thumb:

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Avira had a 150 file, 14.70 MB update today. Maybe the start of the turn around.

19. ZeroDay

Lets hope so. I really like Avira and I'd love to see them turn things around.

20. anon

anon Registered Member

21. ZeroDay

22. anon

anon Registered Member

Groundbreaking or not, this is the last product update.

23. ZeroDay

What do you mean last? Last as in most recent or last before a new version?

24. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

One okay test is not going to discourage me from using Avira.

25. Macstorm

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.