Autostart SpywareGuard & Windows installer

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by sysk167, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sysk167

sysk167 Registered Member

Everytime I logg in to my machine & SpywareGuard starts (by a link in Autostart folder) Windows installer have to install SpwareGuard.
    Is there a "better way" to autostart SpywareGuard without Windows installer involved/showing up?
    I'm asking this because I'm not sure about if it is this installing that causing a hang during startup/logging in sometimes.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hmm, I haven't heard of this problem before... The autostart for SpywareGuard should point to the main SpywareGuard program, not the original install kit. Can you go into the Startup folder and get a full Properties... on the SpywareGuard entry that's in there and relay it here - just so we can see if it is somehow corrupted?

Leaving the autostart issue aside, does SpywareGuard run if you execute that startup icon after the system is up and running? I'm wondering if maybe the entire SpywareGuard install is bad. Do you get the SG icon in the systray?

3. sysk167

The icon is in the systemtray if it's autostarted (after W-s installer had done it's job).
    The icon is also there if I start SG "by-hand" (also this time after W-s installer had done it's job).
    To me it looks like SG is doing it's job. It warns me now & then. So the functions are OK I think. It's more of a annoying problem (if this not causing the hangings at logging? Colud be...).
    At this moment I can't give you the properties for the startupfolder (I'm at work & will be on holiday directly after that). I'll be back Monday-Tuesday next week with this info.
    A question about this properties: is it for the startupfolder or the link for SG you want (or both)?

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I was actually wondering if the startup entry was pointing at the wrong program altogether, but that seems unlikely now that you mention that SG does start, run and seems to be working fine in every other respect.

There were some problems where people mentioned when running either SpywareGuard or SpywareBlaster sometimes they would be prompted to enter an install CD... The most common were requests to load the Microsoft Office CD (for people with Office installed). Some people got requests for MS Frontpage disks and there were some odd other cases, as well.

In all cases, if people clicked Cancel a number of times, it would go away and the program would then work fine. The solution was often to simply give it the disk it was requesting and let it pull modules that Windows had determined it needed to reinstall. But this didn't always work, so sometimes the person would have to uninstall the product for which the disk was being requested and reinstall it again. One or the other of these actions has always fixed those problems.

So, I'm thinking your issue might be somewhat similar, although it sounded like you meant that SG was reinstalling itself? It'd help to know exactly what dialog you see on the screen when this happens. It might narrow this down some more.

5. sysk167

I just see 2 W-s installer windows saying Prepare install & after that it say Installing program or if is Component. I think that one of them is SG & the other is for SG:s protection for DLL-something (This DLL-something is started from REG/Run-key I think). Can't remember the exact name from mind but I support you with this too next week.
    I had this kind of Windows installer windows showing up before. I used TeliaLogin before to loggin my ADSL-connection. It didn't work well & I had a "hell" to uninstall it. A lot of entries in REG to delete after the unins was "finished". After this I'm sure it has at least 1 update for W-s Installer.
    After that I started to used SG (& Spywarebaster & Spybot SD & AdAware & Startupcop, Puuh! How many of these protection-pgms do I need?) about 3-4 months ago.
    One strange thing: I had a second user, also an Admin. The W-s Installer is not showing up when he log in! I did the install of SG from account. Maybe I should try uninst from my account & install from his account? I don't belive in this solution but I work as a programmer (Cobol mostly) & know that "**** just happens".....

6. sysk167

Here's the "other" SG-pgm that I can see if i do a scan with Hijackthis:
    O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
    I'm not sure but I think this is "extrapart" of SG that's autostarts when SG starts.
    I have not had the time yet to try the other way I told you about last time: uninst from the other user & se if there is adifference about Windows installer showing up. I think I get a chance for this tomorrow night. I'll be back...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.