Automatically Format Tape...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by schmalho, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schmalho

schmalho Registered Member

Is there a way to have True Image 8.0 automatically format a tape if it finds a new tape or one with an unknown format? We already have the option checked to automatically overwrite if the inserted tape is not empty, but if the tape has not already been used with True Image it will still prompt you for a reply saying it is an "unknown tape format...". We have many scheduled backup jobs on many different servers which may have tapes that have not yet been formatted by True Image and I would like to have a setting or checkbox to be able to have True Image automatically do this so the computer operator does not need to respond to this in the middle of the night or find it in the morning still waiting for a response. There is a screen in the Scheduled Tasks properties that would be very appropriate to have a checkbox present for this, not as a default but as an option for users. If there is another way that would be great also.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

We'll fix this. Thank you for reporting the problem.

3. schmalho

Dennis and Acronis Support,

That is great to hear! Thank you very much for the prompt reply and the statement that you will add the capability to True Image Server. This seems like a very logical and natural additional capability, thank you for the promise to add it to the product.

Is there a way I can check to see what build this will be added to?

Thanks,
    Greg

4. Acronis Support

5. schmalho

Dennis and Acronis Support,

Is this a feature request that you will submit to development? Or has it already been submitted? Any guess-estimate as to how long a change like this might take to actually show up in a new build? Thanks again for your help.

Greg

6. Acronis Support

Hello Greg --

The request has been submitted and the development team has started working on that problem.

Thank you.

7. schmalho

Anton,
    Wow! That is wonderful! Thank you very much for your prompt feedback and prompt submission to the developement team. I was hopeful that this might be a rather straight-forward type of change to make, but this is faster than I expected. Thanks again for your efforts.

Thanks,
    Greg

8. schmalho

Acronis Support / Anton,
    Any idea when this feature or option might be added to a new build as you indicate above? Thank you in advance for your reply.

Just to clarify the feature request for me is to simply give a checkbox option on the same screen as the "Overwrite Tape Data" screen for an option to "Always Format Tape" if the tape is not in a usable format already. This way a nightly/weekly/monthly backup would be assured of running. We would not find out on Monday that our weekly backup did not run because the tape needed formatting and we need to reschedule the weekly backukp. The risk that we accept is that we may be overwriting other data, but as long as it is our choice to make that is fine. I would not make it the default, but provide a checkbox for us to select if that is what we want.

Thanks,
    Greg

9. schmalho

Acronis Support / Anton,

Any idea when this feature or option might be added to a new build as you indicate above? Thanks.

Greg

10. Acronis Support

Hello shmalho,

The thing is that our Development Team is very busy right now cause we are going to release a new product. Please write down and keep the Acronis number of this enhancement: 154653. You can contact support@acronis.com and provide this number in order to know if the feature under consideration has been included into Acronis True Image Server.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis support department
    e-mail: support@acronis.com

Acronis... compute with confidence

11. schmalho

Andrew,

Thank you very much for your help. I will try to track it with the number you provided.

Thanks,
    Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.