Automatic restoration

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Hallie, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hallie

Hallie Guest

Where can I find instructions on configuring the True Image to automatically run and restore an image on boot up without any input from the user? Is there anyplace on the webpage to find step-by-step instructions on how to do this? Thank you!

Hallie

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Hallie,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We regret to inform you that currently it is not possible to restore images on boot up without any input from the user. However, our Development Team is working on this option and it is expected to be implemented in the future versions of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. Hallie

Hallie Guest

I was told by an e-mail support agent that I can copy the TrueImageCmdDos.exe utility to the bootable rescue CD along with a modified autoexec.bat file. The information to add to autoexec.bat is

TrueImageCmdDos.exe /deploy /harddisk:1 /target_harddisk:1 /filename:D:\image.tib

However, I cannot find the autoexec.bat file to modify. Is this information correct? If so, where can I find autoexec.bat? Thank you!

Hallie

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Hallie,

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter to Acronis Support Team?

We regret to inform you that there no way to restore the image absolutely automatically. However, there are quite few steps needed to perform this operation manually.

To be able to see autoexec.bat file in Windows Explorer you need to open C: drive in "My Computer" and choose "Tools" -> "Folder Options" -> "View" tab. Please uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files" box and click the "Ok" button.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Hallie

Hallie Guest

I did not e-mail support so I do not have a number. The e-mail agen had e-mailed me to follow-up on how we were doing with our demo of True Image. I have created a CD with the bootable floppy files on it including the modified autoexec.bat file and added the TrueImageCmdDos.exe and the image file. However, when I try to boot up with that CD I get an error saying that NTLDR is missing or could not be found. I have another CD that I burned that was done in the Nero program as a bootable CD with the two other files added and it boots fine but then cannot find the TrueImageCmdDos.exe file...

6. Hallie

Hallie Guest

I was told that I could create a bootable CD and add the TrueImageCmdDos.exe utility along with the image file and modify the autoexec.bat file with the following command:

TrueImageCmdDos.exe /deploy /harddisk:1 /target_harddisk:1 /filename:D:\image.tib

However, when I create this CD, the system file are not accessible through Windows, only the image file and the TrueImageCmdDos.exe utility are shown on the CD and when I try to boot with it, the computer tries to execute the command but does not recognize the TrueImageCmdDos command. When I list the contents of the CD in DOS, it only shows the system files, the opposite of what is shown on the CD when in Windows. Is this method not possible? Thank you!

7. Hallie

Hallie Guest

Sorry, that command should have been:

8. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

9. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Or HD Guard Pro.

Note: I have not tried it myself, but it looks solid.

10. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi JimmyTop,
    This was serendipity at its best. I was trying to recall who made products like DeepFreeze after cleaning spyware and hijackers off computers at a local teen center where I volunteer. You saved me the search. Thanks!

11. Hallie

Hallie Guest

I have looked at HD Guard Pro and Deep Freeze, they do not perform the same function that True Image does and so will not work for what I want to do. Thank you for the suggestions, but what I need is a program that will make an image of a hard drive that I can then apply to a blank hard drive if I ever have to reformat or replace the original hard drive. True Image is great, I just am looking for a way to automate the restore process so that our users located in other locations can put in a CD and then boot up the computer and not have to worry about providing any input. Thanks.

12. Hallie

Hallie Guest

By adding TrueImageCmdDos.exe to the bootable floppy and renaming it to ticd.exe (DOS will not use full name, truncates to TrueIm~1.exe) and modifying autoexec.bat accordingly, I was able to boot up using the CD and did not get the 'Command not found' error. However, the image file is too large to put on the bootable floppy and so can only be added separately from the bootable system files, hence I now get the error 'Unable to load image archive.' I am beginning to believe that this is not possible and that I will have to wait until the automatic restoration without user input is added in a future version before purchasing this software. Or, I can limit the size of the image files to 37 KB so that I can fit the first image file on the bootable floppy to use in creating my bootable CD...

13. adrianyujs

adrianyujs Registered Member

lol.. Hallie, you can use apllication such as Hard disk clone. Like Norton Ghost. Nice program...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.