Automatic adjustment of process priority by ProcessGuard?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by polle, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polle

polle Registered Member

Hi,

I'm wondering, if it might be possible to implement a function in ProcessGuard to automatically set the priority of a process.
    I have a Chessprogram which uses all of my CPU unless I manually reduce its priority to low. It would be nice if PG could do this for me.

2. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Polle,
    That isn't really a security related function so you might be better off looking at another program to accomplish this

One that I know of (and use myself) is Process Tamer by Mouser from Donation Coder it also has a forum to discuss new features and it is donation ware and can be quite useful for situations like that

Another one is Process Lasso which has a free version and a paid for version

3. pasito

pasito Registered Member

There is also a command line option if i'm not mistaken. Brb as I search google :)

edit: whops got carried away with some stuff, will check now ;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Perhaps a later version will offer some useful capabilities like this as side effects.. especially if there is a commandline. Process Tamer looks useful though.

Priority could also be part of other features added in a later version. There are uses, suspension termination and priority could become a subset of features. Big features need a lot of work, but why add one little feature when you can add more wide powerful features which enable tens of smaller ones ? :)

5. pasito

pasito Registered Member

Yer..

I stumbled upon this reg tweak a while ago that adds a right click context menu when you right click on an executable file and you can launch the program with any cpu priority you specify.

Example (put in a shortcut): cmd.exe "C:\program.exe" -realtime or something....

Can't find it anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.