Authorization decisions

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by JRCATES, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Being new to LNS, I expected some new prompts and the like, and when I booted up this machine a few minutes ago, I was greeted with one.

I selected authorize for "Just this session" (the only other option was "Just this time"), and the alert referrenced "spools" for system32 or something along those lines (sorry, should have made a note, was kinda sidetracked at the moment).

Just curious....but when greeted with an option like this, what is the best choice (session, time?), and if you're uncertain exactly what the alert is, but it does or seems to refer to part of the operating system....what is the best course of action?

And can you track and/or change what "decisions" you've made....if you made a bad one....and how do you go about doing that?

2. JRCATES

Actually, upon reboot.....I just encountered this same alert again:

Look 'n' Stop: Application Filtering

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOLSV.EXE

This software would like to connect to the internet.
    Do you authorize it to connect?

_ Just this time _ Just for this session

Authorize / Block

Not a lot of description, and with only two "allow" options (both seemingly temporary - "session" and "this time"), looks like I could receive this alert every time I start up the PC!

Any suggestions on how to handle this one?

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

knowing its part of the OS (print spooler), i just allow it. but it also may not need internet access. maybe its looking for a network printer?? try just blocking for that session or if u receive more alerts, try blocking it and see what happens. also be careful, some malware disguises itself as spoolsv.exe, so look carefully at the directory.

4. JRCATES

I think you're right, Fuser, because I don't have a printer connected to this machine. And the one I did have connected to it previously has been shown the dumpster (LOL).

So, do you think that if a printer was connected, the alerts would stop? I'd certainly hope so, because being alerted upon every reboot (with no option to always allow) would drive me crazy after a while......

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

as long as u block or allow it, the prompts will stop
    u do know that if u leave both Just this time and Just for this session unchecked, its the same as always allow/deny.

6. JRCATES

Nope, I didn't....thanks for the heads up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.