Auslogics Disk Defrag v.3.4.0.0 Released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by hayc59, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Auslogics Disk Defrag v.3.4.0.0 Released

Whats New
    • Improved stability
    • Improved defragmentation speed
    • Fixed all known bugs

Download: Auslogics Disk Defrag
    View: Version History

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I tried Auslogics Disk Defrag and didn't actually like how fast it performed the defrag on all my HDDs. My HDDs were never defragmented before and it literally defargmented them within a minute or two. Seems like it didn't do much. Whereas PerfectDisk takes 10 times the time to defrag but does a better job as not only does it defragment the files, it uses SmartPlacement to put the most use files on the outer edge of the Disk for faster access.

A good free alternative to PerfectDisk is Puran Defrag it uses the same method of SmartPlacement but its called PIOZR (Puran Intelligent Optimizer).

Puran Defrag Download

• Puran Intelligent Optimizer - PIOZR
      [*]Directories Consolidation for speed boost
      [*]Optimization by Freeing Space
      [*]Automatic Defragmentation for worry free defrag
      [*]Boot Time Defragmentation for system files like MFT
      [*]Low Priority Defrag for work while defrag experience
      [*]Individual File/Folder Defrag for selective defrag
      [*]GUI and Console Command Line Defrag Supported
      [*]Restart/Shutdown After Boot Time Defragmentation
      [*]File/Folder Exclusion or exclusion by wildcard facility
      [*]Native support for 64Bit Windows
      [*]Supports Windows Xp/2003/Vista/2008/7

Auslogics products = poo . Just my 2 cents

3. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Well... i tell you what. Auslogics products are very good. I'm using BoostSpeed on 2 PCs and on a notebook. It makes the system noticable faster if i use their product once a month. The paid defrag is new on the market, give them some time and im sure it will be better. For me its already very good. Makes my system faster.

4. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I purchased a license of Auslogics Registry Defrag and was using it legally. Only to be surprised in 2 months that it turned into a FREE WARE! So when I emailed support for a refund they were like sorry you have exceeded the allowed time for a refund. So basically, I got screwed by them for being a lawful and honest customer.

Not to mention the fact that I don't trust a company that bundles the ASK.com toolbar in every one of their apps and have its checkboxes ticked by default so people who are not careful will end up with a lot of crapware on their system.

Oh and if you feel that Auslogics Boost Speed is making your system faster, then I am glad! The Placebo effect can do wonders while you have messed up your registry somewhere you'll face an error and you'll never even suspsect it was because of your magical Boost Speed.

With Windows 7, there is nothing you can do to speed it up using an external program. All you need is to keep your system defragged and disable the useless services/start up programs

But hey, whatever floats your boat if it makes you feel that you system is snappier ;)

5. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

If is not slow and buggy like PD than is not good :rolleyes:

I run Auslogics Portable and after Puran,PD,Defraggler all reported that the drives ware defraged as stated by Auslogics..So it does what it says..And is quite fast

6. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I also just tested an Auslogics optimized/defragged hard drive with Defraggler and the analysis indicated that the drive was 0% fragmented.

I have never had any issues with Auslogics Defrag and I have used a few of the other major players' free versions over the years.

Auslogics has given consistently good results and does so in a very short amount of time.

Of course, as with anything else, your mileage may vary.

7. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Differences between defragmenters are IMHO overhyped. I was using Auslogics v.3.1 (the one without bundled crap). I installed Puran. It found 1% fragmentation (i hadn't defragged today) on temp files and AVG's log files. Big deal.

Anyway, i liked Puran's features though. Unfortunately, each time it gets to the "filling gaps" i get a crash:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/66758212.png/

So i guess Auslogics wins this for me... Although i will stick to my old version.

8. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

I have the same crash with "fill in the gaps" ;)

9. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Agree. This is why i use Auslogics. It tells me what services should i disable and why. This is what i like in it.

10. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Re: Auslogics Disk Defrag v.3.4.2.0 Released

Auslogics Disk Defrag Free

Version:
    Release date:
    April 06, 2012
    Program size:
    4.88 MB

System Requirements
    Windows 7/2008/Vista/2003/XP (32-bit & 64-bit)
    25 MB available hard disk space
    32 MB RAM

Version History
    3.4.2.0 (06/04/2012)
    improved stability
    improved defragmentation speed
    corrected a bug-catching subsystem
    fixed all known bugs

Download: http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download

11. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

I can't remember if Puran Defrag is able to defrag the registry. o_O o_O

Who can tell me more about it ?

12. DBone

DBone Registered Member

This isn't a Puran thread, but I found the following from Windows 7 Forums regarding Puran:

Hello Puran support,

I have some questions....

Does Puran Defrag allow for "fill gaps" option that only works below a certain free space size. Eg, if I optimize my system with another defrag program (say, Perfectdisk) to leave big holes of free space of 4GB, is Puran going to fill these intentional gaps? Or can I let it work on a micro level? Say; only close gaps if free space gap is below x-amount of clusters?

Another question I have is what gets defragmented by Puran in offline mode? I know Perfectdisk has the most complete ntfs defrag features, including NTFS metadata. I would prefer a complete (and technical:) answer...?

Another question concerns the option to "free space" to reserve free space on a fast part of the hard drive: does this only work for IE temporary files? For if there is one browser I do not use... it is Internet Explorer. Preferably, it will also reserve space for Chrome temp files. BE WARNED: chrome cache (IE cache) can become very big... Also, it would be neat if I could chose the folders or files for fast location.

Another question is the opposite, an option I've been looking for for a long time. Can I place a folder or certain types of big files to the END of the harddisk? I would like to use that slow location for my downloads folder and for movie-files above 500MB? Let them fight on the last part of the drive; this way it will not interfere with the important files.

I would like an option to leave already defragmented files alone, but with an extra option for "Fast PIOZR" to be able to move defragmented but important system files to the fast part of the disk? PIOZR should leave non-essential defragmented files alone (unless free space gaps are small - then move and cluster files to neat chunks of data).

I like your boot time options. I think your software performs quite well in speed and could become a future all-round winner - especially because of the price (free! Home usage).

Therefore, I would like any detailed information or thoughts you can give me...

Peace!

Devvie

Puran's Reply:

I got a quick reply from them, now my promissed copy-paste : )

Hello,

Thank you for your email and sorry for the delay in response.

Below are our answers -

" Does Puran Defrag allow for \"fill gaps\" option that only works below a certain freespace size. Eg, if I optimize my system with another defrag program (say, Perfectdisk) to leave big holes of free space of 4GB, is Puran going to fill these intentional gaps? Or can I let it work on a micro level? Only close gaps if freespace gap is below x-amount of clusters?..."

Puran Defrag does not try to fill each and every gap but it does try to fill necessary gaps. Do not try to mix two defragmenters as each tend to have their own way of managing your disk to give you the best performance. In your case, the answer is cannot say. Puran Defrag may or may not decide to fill this gap. Sorry we cannot tell you the criteria behind this.

"Another question I have is what gets defragmented by Puran in offline mode? I know Perfectdisk has the most complete ntfs defrag features, including NTFS metadata. I would prefer a complete (and technical:) answer...?... "

Puran Defrag defragments all files including those that cannot be defragmented during online defrag. This means you do not need an online defrag, if you have already run the offline defrag. There is also an advantage to this, as most files are available during offline defrag, Puran Defrag has an advantage of arranging them in a better way.

The extra files that offline defrag defragments are mainly, MFT, pagefile, registry files etc. However, Puran Defrag does leave certain files fragmented like NTFS Bitmap since we do not feel it is much safe to play with these sensitive files.

"Another question concerns the option to \"free space\" to reserve free space on a fast part of the harddrive: does this only work for IE temporary files? For if there is one browser I do not use... it is Internet Explorer. Preferably, it will also reserve space for Chrome temp files. BE WARNED: chrome cache (IE cache) can become very big... Also, it would be neat if I could chose the folders or files for fast location."

Free space is reserved for common use, any application can store its temp data there.

"Another question is the opposite, an option I\'ve been looking for for a long time. Can I place a folder or certain types of big files to the END of the harddisk? I would like to use that slow location for my downloads folder and for movie-files above 500MB?..."

This has been suggested to us a lot of times but as we always say do not mix other defragmenters functionality with ours, simply turn on PIOZR and automatic defrag and auto boot defrag and quit thinking about defrag. You will definately feel the difference without ever thinking of defrag again. Any how, we may give such functionality as an option in future version.

"I would like an option to leave already defragmented files alone, but with an extra option for \"Fast PIOZR\" to be able to move defragmented but important system files to the fast part of the disk? PIOZR should leave non-essential defragmented files alone (unless free space gaps are small - then move and cluser files to neat chunks of data)... "

Puran Defrag already does exactly what you need :)

Thank you

Regards,
    Vishal Gupta
    Puran Software

13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I use Auslogics Defrag and I have a question.... many people tell me I only need to defrag Windows 7 once every 6 months.

But others tell me I should defrag every 3 months.

And some tell me I should defrag every 1 month.

And some tell me I should defrag every week.

I am an average user, install a new program every couple of weeks. So what does Auslogics recommend and what do the experts recommend? How often should I defrag?

14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

imo depends on a few things. one is are you allowing windows defrag to run on its normal schedule or have you turned it off.. then do you add and remove a lot of files like say music or movies etc... im not referring to installing programs but like if you add some music and remove some others.. and do this often..

if you dont really add and or remove a lot of files often or moves files from one pc to another like over the network etc.. AND let windows defrag run on its normal already set schedule i dont think you need to defrag much at all. maybe every few months is what i would do but some others would not even do it this often. personally i run a defrag at least once a month. but im always adding removing files etc and after a month my drive is prob 5-10% fragmented already so feel i need to run it.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Current version is 3.4.2.5

16. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So what's a good rule to remember? Only defrag if it's showing 5% or more?

17. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

maybe the easiest thing is to use a scheduled defrag and just let it run every couple months.... otherwise you will have to always check your % of defragmentation. honestly for many people just letting windows 7 run its own defrag on schedule is fine.

i dont like even getting to 5% personally.. but anything around that you will not notice a huge difference but if you set a scheduled defrag then you dont have to worry about it. or you could use something like perfectdisk where it prevents defragmentation on the fly.

i like auslogics but i am finding its shortcomings it does NOT fully defragment the mft even on a boot defrag all the time. it also leaves it scattered around the drive instead of placing it neatly like perfectdisk does. for the time i have went back to pd12.5 just because of it being more thorough on the drive..

18. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

The folks at UltraDefrag take a sensible approach I feel:

*I suspect this should read 'contiguous'.

19. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Thanks TS :thumb:

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Auslogics has updated to V3.4.2.5 since this thread started, so maybe the thread is outdated. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.