Auslogic Pro Optimiz by Prefetch Layout

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twl845, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi All, I'm doing an Optimize By Prefetch Layout in Auslogic Pro, and after 4 hours it's still at 5.14%. I have 1,34TB HD. 1.29TB Free. I can see the files as they are checked one by one, but at this rate it will be a few days until it's done. Is this normal? Thanks in advance to any user who can respond. :p

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

YOU SAID IT. Auslogics, that sums it all up.

all they produce is crappy software

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Defragmenting free space takes much more time. It is not a bug, it is a feature, it just kills HDD. In comparison to Windows deframentation, it is still 100 times faster. :)

4. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

hmmm, doesn't Puran Defrag also defragment free space? because it is much faster

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Probably because Puran does a boot defragmentation, or it has a better algorithm or actually worse. Someone should test it. :D

EDIT: I will probably look into it. I stopped using Auslogics, since it was not supporting 8, but it does now, so I will try all their freebies.

EDIT: Well I will keep all of them. Anyway, defrag took 1 min, optimization 24 min with an algorithm to move system files enabled. 25GB HDD only.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm not defragging, it's optimizing. It optimized the free space fairly quick, and then I proceeded to optimize the occupied portion of the C drive which is where it isn't progressing after a long time. According to the instructions, optimizing puts frequently used files near the outside of the disk so they access faster.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

this seems normal sometimes with auslogics pro with the prefetch defrag. also puran while a great program never fully did work for me for a free space consolidation it always left gaps. the one that does this job very well is perfectdisk and auslogics also works well for a free space defrag not as good as perfectdisk imo. the reason it takes so long to do a defrag by prefetch is because it has to almost literally move all your files around because it aligns them according to the prefetch info from windows. i prefer the perfectdisk optimize approach for this type of defrag myself. auslogics works very well for a good normal defrag. if you let it fully finish the next time you do the prefetch defrag even if its a couple weeks later it should be much faster.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As I mentioned, at the rate Auslogic Pro was optimizing, it might have finished in about 48 hours, if it went to completion, so I uninstalled PRO which I got free and kept the Auslogic Free version. I also have PerfectDisk Defrag V12.5 which I will appreciate a little more.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You would have been better keeping the Pro version installed and just doing a standard defrag without the optimizing.

It does take a very long time to optimize your hard drive if you have a lot of files - I remember just letting it run all day when I first installed it. However once the files are optimized, future defrags will be much quicker since most of the files on the hard drive will already be placed optimally. Also by doing an optimize, hard drive access should be faster than if you had just done a regular defrag.

10. roger_m

No they don't - their software is actually pretty good.

Their registry cleaner is just about the only registry cleaner which never gives false positives.

Their free disk defrag software has been downloaded 12,420,995 times at Download.com, has a 4.5 star rating there, and is one of the most downloaded programs at Download.com

In some tests their antivirus software which use BitDefender's scan engine scores better than BitDefender.

Now I'm not saying you should go out and buy Auslogics software - just trying to correct some misinformation.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

sorry to say this but i take what berry says anymore with a grain of salt. no software is any good unless its one he uses. everything else sucks.... and everyone should be using what he uses. sorry but it had to be said and i mean no offense but once again let people use what they want and not everything out there sucks because you dont use it. just like ill say bis sucks. sorry but even though it may have great detection i dont like it so it must suck....

12. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Which is the best optimization to have.Auslogics pro gives 3 options.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK I thought better of it and re-installed the Auslogic Pro where I'll do the standard defrags. ;)

14. roger_m

Optimize by Prefetch Layout, is the best and slowest. But one think to bear in mind is that once you've done the defrag once - which will take a very long time if you've got a lot of data on your hard drive, future defrags will be much faster as most of the files on your hard drive will already be placed optimally, so there will be much less work for it to do.

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thanks for the advice roger m.:thumb:

16. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I had Auslogics Defrag Pro installed on my Windows 7 computer and was able to do Simple defrag, Free space optimization, and Optimize by Prefetch Layout without any issues. Ten days ago, I upgraded my computer to Windows 8 and tried to run Optimize by Prefetch Layout, but got a message that "Prefetch needs to be enable to perform optimization". I received an answer from Auslogics Support telling me to
    =============================
    "enable Prefetch by going to
    KEY: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
    Name: EnablePrefetcher
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1
    After that we advice you to wait around 5 days."
    ==================================
    I've changed the registry key but still unable to run Optimization by Prefetch Layout.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.