Attention MalwareDefender users - I need help!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bellgamin, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I recently installed MalwareDefender.

Today I finally got around to doing my routine weekly check of my system files so as to detect any significant changes. As is to be expected, I found some new files put there by MalwareDefender. However, I also found a new system file that I cannot directly relate to MalwareDefender. That file is:

hobpephe.sys

On my XP system it is located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hobpephe.sys.

I Google-searched hobpephe.sys. RESULT: "Your search - hobpephe.sys - did not match any documents."

I scanned the file with Avast & VirusTotal. Both said it's okay. Even so, I would like to find out if this file is a component of MalwareDefender.

REQUEST: If you are a user of MalwareDefender, PLEASE check and see whether hobpephe.sys is on your computer.

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Can you share the MD5 of the file and the properties of the file? It sounds like it very well could be one of MalwareDefenders randomly generated SYS files but I am not sure it been forever since I used MD.

3. bellgamin

MD5 = 62EB760FB6FE72AE0500C6FB42EC8979. 258,392 bytes. Signer 360.cn, dated Jan. 9, 2012.

4. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Yeah 360.cn is a MalwareDefender file. I cant find any hits online so it has to be randomly named.

5. bellgamin

Agree! Thanks.

6. When I remember correctly, there is an option in the settings to switch on/off the random name assignment of this driver.

7. bellgamin

Thanks Kees. I found the option per your comment. I opted to not switch it off.

I can't stop wondering if I should have installed SystemSafety Monitor vice MD. Problem is, I think MD is better but I am not adept at configuring it. OTOH, I DO know how to configure SSM, but I don't think it's as powerful a HIPS as is MD. Which is preferable, I wonder: MD weakly configured or SSM strongly configured?? :oops:

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.