Attacks on Linux Package Managers?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tlu, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/justin/packagemanagersecurity/attacks-on-package-managers.html

The recommendation to use only trustworthy official repositories is definitely correct. I don't know how other distros handle the mirror-server problem. But as far as Ubuntu is concerned, there are centralized security updates via security.ubuntu.com (and not via mirror servers). Thus, an attacker would have to perform a man-in-the-middle-attack between s.u.c. and my computer - very unlikely ;). For non-security updates the first sentence applies (i.e. to stick with the default servers or - if you're paranoid - with archive.ubuntu.com).

But again - other distros might be more affected. Any users of these distros who can deliver some insight?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Tomas, yesterday yast the package manager for opensuse told me there was a security issue with the package manager itself and then updated it along with various other updates.

3. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

So far I can't see anything taking place in either of our Mandriva or Kubuntu boxes related to the package manager...

4. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

sorry bout the double post... using XP Pro... since SP3, we get nothing but glitches across the board... I cant wait until I'm 100% linux on the entire infrastructure...

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes,definitely a good choice.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.