Atrocious tap-to-click responsiveness in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Eice, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Recently I was forced to use my laptop’s touchpad instead of a mouse. Scrolling and clicking via touchpad buttons were fine, but tapping to click was incredibly inconsistent and frustrating. Most of the time I needed to tap more than once, with varying amounts of force and speed, before my clicks would register. I initially thought it was a problem with my antiquated laptop’s touchpad and lived with it for days, until I booted into Windows 7 and found out that Windows registered my taps almost perfectly. I’d been so frustrated that the relief of having responsive tap-to-clicks was overwhelming (my girlfriend had to ask me what I was thanking God out loud for).

As it is I’m rather clueless as to how to begin troubleshooting and solving this issue. Help appreciated.

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

You could try gpointing-device-settings, or the older gsynaptics which, while officially labeled as deprecated, solved my problems with my touchpad's sensitivity. Both are in the repos.

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I tried gpointing-device-settings first, since the summary mentioned it was the successor to gsynaptics, but it seemed to do nothing. gsynaptics itself, however, has produced a noticeable improvement.

Thanks for the suggestions.

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

gpointing-device-settings worked well for me, but there is an annoying bug where it would lose your settings after a reboot. Actually, I hate touchpads and have a mini usb mouse for my laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.