ATI9 takes 16 hours to restore 20GB to SATA drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Brian Kendig, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig Registered Member

I'm using Acronis True Image 9, build 3677, on my Windows XP computer with an 80GB SATA drive (Western Digital WD800JS), and a 40GB ATA drive on which I keep my backups. Both drives work properly and have no errors.

First of all, I can't use True Image when I boot from the CD into 'Full Mode'. When I begin setting the options to do a restore, the computer hangs as soon as it gets to 'Analyzing Partitions', and the drive light goes out. This even happens if I specify "acpi=off noapic" in the boot options.

When I boot into 'Safe Mode', I can start a restore; but it takes seven hours to verify the 20GB backup image file, and then it takes nine more hours to restore this 20GB to my SATA drive.

What gives? How do I get Full Mode to work, or at least how do I make Safe Mode work more quickly?

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Full mode may never work properly. On my desktop it doesn't work at all so I use BartPE Bart's Preinstalled Environment ( BartPE ) bootable live windows CD/DVD.
    I also use one of Mustang's plugins Mustang's BartPE Plugins.
    Check out Mustang's Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD.
    I would send a support request to Acronis Support. They may be able to help.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Obviously, the Linux drivers don't match your hardware. Unless Acronis support has special drivers for you, there is no solution.

Have you tried the last build of TI 9 to be sure that the drivers haven't been changed.

You could try the TI 10 trial version to see if it is faster, but make a TI 9 backup before installing 10. Restore the backup if TI 10 doesn't improve the speed because simply uninstalling 10 may not be sufficient to allow TI 9 to be reinstalled.

Finally, if TI 10 still doesn't support your system, the Bart PE disk is your solution as tomasjk indicated.

4. Brian Kendig

Are you saying that I can make a BartPE CD-ROM with Acronis True Image on it, so that I can run ATI after booting with BartPE?

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That would be a Yes.

Check out Mustang's thread on how to make a Bart PE boot disk.

6. Brian Kendig

Thanks - I was able to make a BartPE disc with Acronis on it, which can restore my drive in twenty minutes instead of sixteen hours.

I did waste a CD burning a BartPE on which Acronis didn't work - apparently the BartPE files installed by the latest Acronis True Image update don't actually work with the latest Acronis True Image update. I had to find another True Image plugin that worked.

I am a bit disappointed that the Acronis True Image CD itself is somewhat useless as a rescue disc, since Full Mode doesn't work for me at all and Safe Mode is excruciatingly slow.

Thank you all for the help!

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You should raise a support ticket with Acronis and provide the info they request. This way your problem will be fixed in a future build. They may also provide you with a special .iso file so you can make a CD for your system.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Brian Kendig,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please do as jmk94903 suggests and download the latest build (3854) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don’t forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If that does not solve the problem, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post with drives in question attached.
    Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of hard drives in question.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.