ATI Rescue Disk can't find drives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bornconfuzd, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Hi All,

I've just completed my first pc build, and have run in to the same problem as others. I've read many of the posts here regarding the problem but am hoping for a little more input before I go forward.

Build specs are in my signature.

I did not install (F6) AHCI or Raid drivers.

ATI 11 Build 8101 installed and made a backup from within Vista to my second internal backup without incident.

However, when I booted to the rescue cd it could not see my drives, not internal, Esata or USB. I tried ATI 10 rescue cd with same result. I then tried uninstalling Acronis, ran Acronis cleanup utility, and installed the latest Paragon Drive Backup trial version, created rescue cd, booted to it, same result, "No Drives Found".

Then I downloaded and installed Acronis 2009 trial onto another computer, created a rescue cd, booted to it and VOILLA, it found my internal HDDs AND the backups I had made with V. 11! I have not yet checked it with my external drives, (Esata & USB), nor have I tried a backup or restore, I was just happy it found my internal drives for starters!

Now though I'm kind of stumped. Should I buy and install ATI 2009, or continue with ATI 11, 8101 for backups and rely on the ATI 2009 rescue cd for restores, or something else, like trying to make one of the BartPE/WinPE/VistaPE disks? I've looked at some of the instructions for building one of these and the prospect doesn't fill me with excitement!

I'm not too keen on ATI 2009 because I like full backups. I've found incrementals can become confuzing and unreliable. Of course, that was back in the day, using Concurrent Dos and Tape backups, but still.

At this point some pointers and suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Larry

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Why do you feel 2009 doesn't do Full backups? It does everything the previous versions do. And if you're in the market for a 1Tb drive, Newegg is including Ati 2009 for the price of the drive alone.

3. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Hi DwnNdrty,

Are you saying that TI 2009 can be set to do only full backups without incrementals via scheduled tasks as can TI 11 or TI 10?

Thanks for the heads up on the Newegg deal, but no I'm pretty well set with HDDs for right now.

Thanks,

Larry

4. DwnNdrty

Ah, okay you're talking about automatic backups ... I only do manual backups, but from what I read on the forum I'm pretty sure it can do only full backups and I believe you can set it for X number of Fulls then start over by deleting the oldest .... but wait till someone else who knows to drop by.

5. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Sorry to bump this but I could really use some input/guidance.

Thanks,

Larry

6. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Anybody?

7. Vlad V

Vlad V Registered Member

8. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Hi Vlad,

Thank you for your reply! I see by the posts you linked to that ATI 2009 does NOT do scheduled full backups, at least not by design. While your workaround might work, (I will try it), it is a HUGE disappointment to find that feature gone in this release! Automatic full backups was the most important feature in ATI 10 & 11 for me. I could set the second internal HDD as the backup place, set up a scheduled task to make full backups every couple of days with a limit of 4 or 5 backups and forget about it! It just worked!

I know, I'm not the only one who's disappointed.

Anyway, back to my original question, does anyone have any input or thoughts about the way forward?

Is it reasonable to continue making backups with ATI 11 and rely on the rescue cd from ATI 2009 for restores?

If not, would I have better luck staying with ATI 11 and building a Bart/Win/VistaPE disk? If so, which one should I start with?

I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks,

Larry

9. Vlad V

Vlad V Registered Member

If your ATI 11 backups validate and restore OK when booted from the rescue CD, this is a quite viable solution.

Vlad

10. DwnNdrty

ATI 2009 Rescue CD will even restore an Image made with Ver 9.

11. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Vlad & DwnNdrty,

Thank you for your responses! I was thinking that there might be some better/easier solution and needed to hear from more experienced users that this seemed logical, or that I was not forgoing something better. Not that this is good!

I'm just so befuddled as to why Acronis would do away with such a great feature, and force us to to incremental! Good grief, just scheduling a full backup for 8:00 pm every other night, copying one of those to an external hdd about once a month, was so easy, simple and straight forward! It was almost elegant!

I just don't get what it is with software companies that feel the need to mess up a good thing. I know, that's just my opinion, but it is my opinion! ;)

I have relied completely on Acronis for the last 4 or 5 years, and I have not been disappointed. When I needed it the most I had a backup, that worked! I hope to continue doing so.

Who knows, maybe they'll put that feature back in some future update................:p

I'm still wondering too, about the Bart/Win/VistaPe disks. Would you be so kind as to let me know which one, if any, you would suggest given my setup?

Thank you both, again, for your feedback,

Larry

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bornconfuzd,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image 11 Home

Please provide us the serial number for your Acronis True Image program via PM so we can give you ISO image of Acronis bootable disc which will solve the issue.

As workaround you may try downloading Safe Media from your account under Registered Products. Create new Acronis bootable disc using it and see if the issue persists.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

13. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Hello Dmitry!

Thank you for your response!

I've PMd you my serial number.

The email address under my sign in is current.

Thank you,

Larry

14. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Hello Dmitry,

I received the ISO and have PMd a response.

Thanks a lot!

Larry

15. shieber

shieber Registered Member

IF you use an aTI12/2009 boot CD, then you need to pay for a license for ATI12/2009. However, faced with your very same choice, run an earlier version and use only the ATI12/2009 boot CD, or just use ATI12/2009 only, I chose to keep running AI10 and it's very vesratile Backup Locations. I'd only use ATI12.2009 for the BootCD. But you have to weigh your own preferences.

16. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Hi shieber,

Yes, I agree and that's why I ordered a copy of TI 2009 last week. It should be arriving today or tomorrow.

Thanks for your input.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.