ATI 9 would not restore ATI 8 image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pkintheroad, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pkintheroad

pkintheroad Registered Member

I just sent the following to Acronis support.

"After installing 9.0 (home) I could not restore an image made with 8.0 that was on a 300gb external Maxtor drive. It stalled out about 3/4 through analyzing the 'D' (Maxtor) drive. I made several attempts with the same results every time. Once I left it 'analyzing' for a couple of hours with no movement in the progress bar. I reinstalled 8.0 and made the restore with no problems - except that it takes about 7 hours to do a restore from the image on an external drive."

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Strange o_O. TI 9.0 Home is backwards compatible with images created via all previous versions/builds.

Could be you've got some "iffy" sectors that the new imaging engine in TI 9.0 Home doesn't like. Try dropping into the Windows Command Prompt and running chkdsk ?: /r on each of your Maxtor's partitions (substitute ? for the letter of the partition being checked).

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pkintheroad,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that as Menorcaman said Acronis True Image 9.0 Home should restore the image archives created with the previous build/versions of Acronis True Image. The opposite operation is not possible.

If you would like to investigate this issue please install the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Please uninstall the previous version/build of Acronis True Image prior to the installation of the build 3633 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. After that please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the issue still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Could you please validate the image archives using Validate Archive tool (Tool -> Validate Archive) of Acronis True Image and let us know the exact check-out result? Also if it is possible copy the image archive to local hard drive and try to restore it.

Using the latest build (3633) create Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD, boot you computer from it at also try to restore this image archive.

Could you please do the following?

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application:

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/devicetree.zip

- Run the application;

- Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;

- Move the margin to the right in order to see all the items;

- Make a screen shot and send it to us.

Please note that the application may crash the system when you exit, so we recommend you to save all your work and close other programs prior to running it.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  4. pkintheroad

pkintheroad Registered Member

Doing a total uninstall. (Add/delete programs then manual uninstall) fixed the problem. I was able to successfully restore an image to a new hard drive. Then I got "windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem". Fixed that by being able to google the warning on another computer (it was the boot.ini). Now I see, hidden In "read this before posting" that you can make a recovery CD for this problem. Don't know if it works though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.