ATI 2009: nonprivileged user cannot start ATI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AcroLu, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcroLu

AcroLu Registered Member

Windows XP SP3 (german) all current patches (04/2009)
    ATI 2009 German Build #9646 (current one!!!)

If I start ATI 2009 as a nonprivileged user an error window pops up:
    "Sie haben nicht die erforderlichen Benutzerrechte, um über die volle Funktionalität von Acronis True Image Home zu verfügen". The meaning is: "You do not have the needed privileges to use the full range of functions of True Image Home".

If I press the okay button ATI finishes. From my point of view this is not an exspected behaviour. When I am able to connect a USB drive to the system then I must have the right to backup this drive even if I cannot use the full range of functions.

Is there any way for a nonprivileged user to do an ATI-backup of a USB drive which has been mounted by this unprivileged user?

If this is an issue with the outdated german language build please let me change to the english language. A further advantage would be that there is no need to translate error messages.

Thank you,

Wolf

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AcroLu,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

The issue can take place if you run the program using another account. Can you please create screen shot of the error message and attach it to your next reply?

I may recommend you download free trial (English) version of the program and see if the issue persists. If it doesn’t reproduce I will replace German version to English.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

3. AcroLu

AcroLu Registered Member

Dmitry Nikolaev,

I will follow your recommodation and download the english trial version.

The metioned error message is attached.

Greetings

Wolf

Attached Files:

4. AcroLu

AcroLu Registered Member

Hello Dmitry Nikolaev,

It was a hard time to delete the traces of ATI 2009 and DDS 10. After doing the uninstalls and using the Acronis Clean Up utility the program Regscanner found hundreds of entries in the registry.

After cleaning up the registry and several clean boots I installed the english free trial version of ATI 2009 which I downloaded today at 6.00 pm (build 9709). I checked the box to install the program for all users. But the result was disappointing. Now the error message is in english :( .

Do you have other advices?

Wolf

P.S.
    I did not install DDS 10.

Attached Files:

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Have you tried installing with you as the only user? Just to see if this solves the problem, if it doesn't then it could be a corrupt part of Windows and if it does then it is more likely that TI is the problem.

6. AcroLu

AcroLu Registered Member

Why should install as the only user? I need administrative privileges to install and therefore I can run ATI 2009 only as a privileged user.

The problem is that I am not able to run ATI 2009 as a unprivileged user even if I install the software for all users.

If I log on as a privileged user ATI 2009 runs fine.

Wolf

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Wolf:

A quick test trying to start TI using my XP Virtual Machine from an unprivileged user account:

XP Test.PNG

TI is one of those programs like Regedit that cannot run as an unprivileged user. Someone running TI from an unprivileged user account would need to right-click on the file and choose Run as, then enter the credentials of a privileged user. You could try adding your unprivileged user to the Backup Operators group - I think that used to work with older versions of TI. I'm not sure about TI 2009.

8. AcroLu

AcroLu Registered Member

Mark,

I do not agree upon only privileged users can run regedit. On the contrary I am able to run regedit as an unprivileged user and add, delete or modify keys below HKEY_CURRENT_USER. This is quite different from ATI 2009 which does not start.

The alternative to use RUN AS... does not work either: I am able to define a backup task - but that job will not start even if I tick Run Task now. It is listed below Unscheduled tasks. Right-clicking the task and choose Run has no effect. This problem is on my list and I will be discussed with Acronis when this thread has a satisfactory solution.

Since this PC does not belong to a domain it is not possible to put a user into special groups (Backup oprerator). In german HELP reads:
    "Gehört der Computer zu einer Arbeitsgruppe oder ist er ein eigenständiger Computer, werden Benutzern bestimmte Typen von Benutzerkonten zugewiesen." So I have only the choice of Administrator and Unprivileged (Eingeschränkt).

The goal of this thread is to find a solution for an unprivileged user to do a backup of his own USB Drive, SD Card or something else with ATI 2009. I am not willing to do backups for each family member. This must be accomplished by ATI 2009.

Wolf

9. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Wolf:

It's been a few years since I ran XP so I'm getting rusty. On Vista you can set up a scheduled task with Vista Task Scheduler and a nonprivileged user can run the task if an Admin sets it up to run with System privileges. Credentials are stored with the task definition. You can set the task up so that it doesn't start automatically at a preset time, but only runs when manually started. A desktop shortcut can be created to start the task.

I don't remember enough about WinXP to tell you how to do the same with XP Scheduled Tasks, but that is one approach that you can pursue.

10. AcroLu

AcroLu Registered Member

Mark,

I took the burden:
    A. did a system backup (over 1h!!!)
    B. restored a system with ATI 11
    C. restored a system with ATI 10

Results:
    B. The RUN AS... approach worked in contrast to ATI 2009
    C. I got a BSOD and abandoned that experiment

As RUN AS... does not work in ATI 2009 I suppose there is a problem with the ATI internal scheduler because the backup task can be setup but will not run.

The use of a scheduled task is not feasible because the unprivileged user wants to do the backup on demand and not on a regular schedule. Besides the user uses more than one media (USB stick, SD card).

I think its now Acronis turn to provide a solution - if possible not on the RUN AS... base.

Wolf

11. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Wolf:

I was referring to using the Windows Task Scheduler; not the Acronis Scheduler. I found the thread describing this for Vista from about a year ago here. Some of the ideas may be applicable to Windows XP.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AcroLu,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

To run a backup task by means of Acronis True Image Home 2009 you should give Backup Operator and Administrator rights to your account.

- Go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Users and Groups->Users;
    - Right click on the user you logged-in and choose "Properties" option;
    - Go to Member Of -> Add;
    - Issue "Administrators" (without quotes) -> click OK, Add -> "Backup operators"(without quotes) and click OK.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

13. AcroLu

AcroLu Registered Member

Thanks to Oleg, who put me on the right tracks.

Thanks to all others who gave me advice.

To put the standard (was nonprivileged) user into the group "Backup Operators" is sufficient to get the intended result:

The standard user can do backups of her/his data/devices but has not the privilege to read the data/devices of other users on the computer.

I reverted to the german version. The only advantage of the englisch version is that I could use the right english terms as the forum is english based. But the standard user is german biased.

Wolf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.