ATI 11 errors and questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by feck, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feck

feck Registered Member

Thanks for taking the time,
    Acronis True Image 11 Home
    Win XP Pro sp2
    120gb IDE (prim) [20% used] / 250gb SATA (slv) [30% used] / 250gb USB WD Passport (ext backup) [empty]

Installed software - created bootable media disk - initiated backup wizard -
    chose "My Computer" - "Disks and Partitions" - C: and D: (ide and sata drives) - exclude nothing - Backup archive location as E:/Full Backup/ (ext usb drive) - Create a full new backup - Proceed - Error!
    "Unable to initialize snapshot manager library" and "A required privilege is not held by the client".

Reboot, try again, same thing, however; when I scheduled a backup to take place two minutes later it seemed to work (copied files for an hour or so). However when I start the program today it warns me that no backup exists, and cannot seem to recognize the thirty 4gb files it created just last night - at least not as its own backup files (although I'm looking right at them).

I intend to replace both HDDs (1 SATA and 1 IDE) with 2 new SATA drives, this is my mission.

Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated,
    Thank you.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Did you try booting from the Recovery CD and making the backup from there?

As I understand it, you have ~24GB used on the 120GB drive and ~75GB used on the SATA drive for a total of ~99GB to backup. I would expect the backup image to total about 65-75 GB with normal compression. That would be 16 - 18 files of 4GB with one smaller one. How come you have 30 files? Something is very odd.

What are the names for these file? is the extension .tib? Does the name for each end with an increasing number, for example mybackup1.tib, mybackup2.tib?

3. feck

feck Registered Member

"Did you try booting from the Recovery CD and making the backup from there?"
    You mean restoring from the boot disk? No, I haven't bought my drives yet.
    Do you mean create the back up from the boot disk? No, as this was not indicated by the program.

"As I understand it, you have ~24GB used on the 120GB drive and ~75GB used on the SATA drive for a total of ~99GB to backup. I would expect the backup image to total about 65-75 GB with normal compression. That would be 16 - 18 files of 4GB with one smaller one. How come you have 30 files? Something is very odd."
    The percentage I gave you on the SATA was incorrect as this changed recently, but to be clear; I have a total of 125gb to be backed, 95gb on the SATA and 30gb on the IDE. I have 29 files @ 4gb and one at about 2gb. Mystery solved there.

"What are the names for these file? is the extension .tib? Does the name for each end with an increasing number, for example mybackup1.tib, mybackup2.tib?"
    The files do increase numerically but have no association or suffix (E:/Full Backup 11 , E:/Full Backup 12) and wouldn't trust these to be valid during a restoration as ATI does not acknowledge that any backup was made. The home page decries:
    Warning: no backups have been scheduled yet
    Result: Have no backup
    (although in the logs there's evidence that it DID occur)

4. jmk94903

Let us know how things go.

5. feck

feck Registered Member

I'm not hiding file extensions, there were no extensions (I say "were" as I've deleted the questionable Full Backup folders entirely) all other extensions are clearly visible.
    Are you suggesting that I boot directly from the recovery disc, and then run ATI in order to create the backup I'm attempting?

Compression is chosen automatically by default I believe - it was chosen for me. I'm not concerned with this aspect anyway as it doesn't/ shouldn't impact the 'whether or not' ATI functions within it's advertised capacity. I realize posting the info about size of the backup and drives was diversionary without being precise.

"Yes, this is annoying. It only goes away after a scheduled backup has been made." Yeah, but in my first post that's exactly what I said I did - it was the only way to get ATI to work at all - so I scheduled to run immediately and it did - still the warning persists.

I was unable to proceed with a manual backup and receive errors when I try:
    "Unable to initialize snapshot manager library" and "A required privilege is not held by the client" - This is what I'm really wanting to know about. For example; is this common, expected, an installation error, can it be fixed?
    I am still unable to manually backup at this point.

6. feck

feck Registered Member

Just wanted to confirm:
    Subsequent to a reinstallation of a fully updated ATI 11 Home I was able to preform a manual backup without any apparent problems.
    Thanks,
    Feck

7. jmk94903

Thanks for letting us know that the reinstallation solved the problem.

8. feck

feck Registered Member

No worries. I've posted these results in the other forums where I also sought advice - all seems well :thumb: .
    Curious about one more thing:
    Conceptually, I should be able to use this backup in case of a complete system failure to restore all of my apps and settings, is that the gist? Or should I consider cloning the drives directly to new hardware*?

*by this, I mean the new HDD's I intend to install before long.

Thank you :)

9. jmk94903

Restoring a full backup is essentially equivalent to cloning, but I prefer it greatly because you can store a backup image, you can restore it multiple times if there are problems, and you can use it to restore data files.

Cloning is a one time thing. If it works, fine, but if it fails, you may be up the creek without even a canoe much less a paddle. :)

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello feck,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

We are glad to hear that your issue has been solved and you can use Acronis True Image successfully. Most likely, initially something prevented Acronis True Image from installing properly, or it was installed under an account without enough privileges, which caused "A required privilege is not held by the client" error.

Please notice that if you set "Files of type" to "All files", and remove ".tib" extention from the "Folder" string on the "Backup Archive Location" screen, the created archive will have no .tib extention and will not be recognized by Acronis True Image. To make it recognizable you need to manually add extention to the archive file using "Rename" Windows command.

Please notice that the Traffic light bar only reacts to scheduled backups, not manually created ones. You can find detailed description in chapter 4.1 "Program workspace" of Acronis True Image 11 Home User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.