AT&T Offers Internet Users Privacy For $29 More As Gigabit Speeds Rollout

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by chrome_sturmen, Feb 19, 2015.

1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

To get AT&T’s Gigapower service for $70 a month, customers have to agree to participate in a program called “AT&T Internet Preferences,” which tracks Web browsing information and search terms to serve ads and other offers. Customers who want to keep their privacy will be charged an additional $29 a month. And even then it doesn’t fully prevent AT&T from collecting user data for other purposes, according to the company's privacy policy

http://www.ibtimes.com/att-offers-internet-users-privacy-29-more-gigabit-speeds-rollout-1820422

2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

In a way, a step in the right direction in terms of giving consumers (illusory) choice.

And at $29 a person, you kind of get a feel for the reason they're so desperate to milk you. Although, I suspect they should be paying US several $k per year to use all the various services.

3. driekus

driekus Registered Member

Use a VPN and convert your ISP into a dumb pipe.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/02/att_charging_cu.html

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Maybe they'll aggressively block VPNs, SSH, Tor, etc. Or they might even style them as "theft of service".

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    Totally agree. They'll make them illegal saying only terrorists use these yada, yada, yada.

I think if a candidate for office said, "~ Snipped as per TOS ~ it there is no privacy, never will be, get over it". Even though I'd hate him for pulling my covers. I'd consider voting him cause I know he has the ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ to tell the truth.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Although I do share those concerns, this AT&T plan is different. In that case, using VPN etc would break their pricing structure. But hey, if they were smart, they'd bundle a VPN with their high-privacy plan :)

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    Ohhhh I got censored. Sorry Mods. I do love my ******************************* though. :)