AT questions

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by msingle, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msingle

msingle Registered Member

I'm not new to the security world but I feel like it after discovering this forum last week. I thought I knew all the good security sites but missed out on the best one looks like.

To be honest, I never really considered the need for AT software. It's not mentioned hardly at all in the main stream press and even security books barely give good information about the need.

I have been under the impression, before doing reading here, that most AV tools would take care of the problem. Well I'm convinced of the need for a dedicated AT tool. So help me pick a good one based on these criteria that I've come up with:

1. Good detection and cleaning
    2. Ease of use and setup and configuration
    3. Frequency of updates
    4. Support (doesn't have to be personal - self help will do)
    5. Resources used
    6. Plays well with AV and firewall
    7. Free trial available and price

I've read that TDS3 is the best but is hard to set up and is a resource hog. I'm running a clunker PC right now so I don't have many resources to give up. I've read about BOClean but it seems that you'd want your AT to scan your hard disk. I've considered PestPatrol but according to the AT review site it detects really well but doesn't clean very well.

So keeping all that in mind, what would you recommend?
    Thanks.

2. ReGen

ReGen Registered Member

Hi msingle. I agree that it is strange AT programs don’t get more frontline coverage. Most people that decide to use a TH program do it because they want a layered approach to security. They will all be using a FW, AV and an AT, in order to give all round protection. AV’s certainly will (in most cases) detect the more common Trojans, but it’s not their speciality so a lot can easily slip by.

I would highly recommend putting Trojan Hunter at the top of your list of AT programs to trial.

It’s very easy to use, gives excellent protection with its “on demand” scanner and continuous memory protection. Fantastic support either directly from Magnus (TH programmer) or the Trojan Hunter Forum, and to top it all, all upgrades have been free so far, and there is no yearly charge.

You can also trial it free for 30 days from:

http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp

But be warned that most people who decide to trial TH for 30 days, end up buying it after 2. (Me included) :)

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, many people like an AT to be able to scan all files of the hard drive and BoClean will not do this. If I understand this correctly (and that's a big "if") all Trojans must enter the RAM in order to do their dirty work, all of them. This is where BoClean excells; if a Trojan has somehow gotten by your firewall, then been missed by your AV, BoClean will nail it when the Trojan finally tries to do what it was created for and in order to do that the Trojan MUST enter your RAM where BoClean will be waiting. BoClean is like a "last chance" to get the little bugger and it has an excellent reputation of being able to do that. Whatever your decision, good luck.

Acadia.

4. wiseguy

wiseguy Registered Member

I believe TrojanHunter is the way to go.
    It's Fast, Support in the best, updates sometimes more then twice a week, and does not eat up resources.
    :-*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.