ASUS ROG G20 - My Experience

Discussion in 'hardware' started by hawki, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

use what you feel is better for you. I'd never touch Taiwanese junk ;)

I'm not even gonna bother explaining how beneficial SLI is or show you how good the cooling in my Alienware is because obviously ou are blind and just want to believe what you want to believe so arguing with you has no point.

You're on my ignore list now

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Also a proven fact that SLI only boosts performance by 30% at most. Just get 1 single good GPU and your set.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, but that's why I only invest in well known companies, the risk is a lot smaller then.

4. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

5. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I can't believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my replacement ASUS ROG today

Guess Whato_O

GTX 760 is dead on arrival on this one too.

Think I'm gonna shoot myself.

GEForceExperience doesn't even recognize the card but device manager does. Gimme a break.

This one has the same serial number as my old one o_Oo_O They must all have the same one.

Keep getting pop up to register this one with ASUS. When I try, ASUS tells me I already have an account and won't let me register this one LMAO

ASUS sux big time.

Refund Time.

Mortal Raptor I should have taken your advice and just got a refund.

6. Rasheed187

This is weird indeed. Last year I also had a bad experience with an ASUS desktop. I'm quite happy with my current one from Acer. The only thing I liked from the ASUS was the advanced UEFI BIOS interface, Acer offers a standard (ugly) one.

http://www.megaleecher.net/UEFI_BIOS

7. hawki

hawki Registered Member

LOL on the ROG GR20 Can only view the bios through the gtx 760 :)

They also have a weird way to view bios other than advanced start option but I could never get it to work.

IMHO ASUS SUX end of story.

8. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Completely off topic. This is a laptop. Its not running GTX980s in SLI or GTX980's at all. On a laptop SLI is useless. It causes excessive heat which causes premature system failure with very little performance gain and alot of extra cash flushed down the toilet.

If you have more money than brains go for a SLI laptop setup. If your actually informed save the cash it would cost to go SLI in a laptop and buy a single good GPU/CPU and go spend the rest on something else.

9. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

As the OP had to underline this thread is about desktops.

Whoever brought laptops to the chat is off topic.

10. hawki

hawki Registered Member

This unbelievable. My second ROG GR20 that Best Buy was getting me another replacement for -- tonight the hard drive failed.

Because of my handicap I can't be without a PC for a day cuz I need one to order grocery deliveries and necessities from Amazon.

Best Buy is the farthest I am able to travel. Can only drive for a bit before my legs become very bad.

So I had to take cab there tonight, my legs being too bad to drive and I bought another PC.

You all gonna shoot me or I might shoot myself cuz I bought another ASUS, a cheaper model, since it has the best specs of any PC they sell there.

This one actually works :)

I have a problem on returning or getting a replacement for the better ROG that broke down tonight, since I cant wipe my data from the drive and if someone retrieve it, it could be a total it could be a total financial disaster for me.

I'm probably gonna order a decent machine from Amazon, and hopefully get a refund on this one or keep it as a spare for emergencies.

Please don't offer advice about wiping the failed hard drive on my old machine. I'm gonna start a new thread on that topic.

That thread is here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/can-you-wipe-data-from-a-failed-hard-drive.372649/

Best Buy Geek Squad claims they can wipe it, but I do not know if I trust them. They are notoriously inept.

Opening the case of an ASUS ROG GR20 voids the warranty, and im not sure Best Buy knows what it's talking about when it tells me they will replace it after the case is opened, since the 30 day exchange policy is a special deal they have with ASUS under its Warranty. But I guess that would be their problem If I decide to trust their Geek Squad wipe.

"What a revolting development this is"
    William Bendix, The life of Riley TV Series, 1950

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  11. Rasheed187

You seem to have even more bad luck than I had last year. Let's hope the new one will keep working correctly. Which one did you buy?
    And I would destroy the HDD, and place a new one.

12. hawki

hawki Registered Member

It's an ASSUS model G20AJ-B07

Don't think Wilders allows links to external sites for spam reasons but the specs are as follows. A little pokey but it was fairly inexpensive and more than adequate for my immediate needs.

Main Specs:

Intel® Core™ i5-4460 processor
    8GB DDR3 memory can take another 8 gigs. But opening the case voids the one year ASUS 1 year warranty.
    1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 graphics
    ASUS Sonicmaster sound which is pretty good on this one.
    Windows 8.1

Was $850

This one actually works (for now), with the exception of not detecting my mouse. The mouse works ok but is not detected as the type of mouse it is and its driver software and controls do not detect it. Can probably fix it but doesn't bother me.

As far as the hard drive goes I doubt it could be replaced in time. It's likely a specially designed ASUS 2TB designed to fit into it's tiny case. It's an amazingly small case design and weighs only 14 pounds. And I would only be replacing the drive so I could get a refund or a replacement as the gtx 760 was dead on arrival. So still not sure what to do with it.

I might just eat the loss rather then risking a potential financial disaster and internet - social reputation destruction. There's at ton of sensitive critically important financial data and all my software license keys and pass words that could be retrieved by someone determined to do so, in additional to a lot of senitive personal information,including medical info. Most Pass words I could likely change in time, unless the wipe was done by Best Buy. But one important one can only be changed through the mail and takes about two weeks. And going through cancelling and getting new debit and credit cards and bank account would be a huge headache.

The loss may be worth the piece of mind it would buy me. I'm a person that got conned out of his life savings and borrowed money in a criminal stock fraud scam, so this loss is relatively minor. I am a highly experienced loser :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  13. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Oooo The ROG saga continues LOL.... The machine I bought last night totally blew out this morning-some kind of short/Power Unit Blow out. Can not believe it.

But I also have good news. The other ASUS came back to life tp a limited degree today. It's totally messed up, but at least it appears I can wipe it and get a refund -- If it stays running that long :)

I know this thread must be a total bore to most, but I want to share My ASUS experience just as an anecdotal heads up about my experience with ASUS's current state of "Quality Control"

Hopefully spare some other some expense and aggravation and wasted time.

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Keep posting your saga...I'm waiting (and hoping) for the happy ending :)

15. Rasheed187

OK, I misunderstood, I thought you bought a whole other model. But it's funny, it has almost the exact same spec as my Acer Predator desktop, except I also got a 128GB SSD and a Creative Sound Blaster sound card. I payed 800 euro, not a bad deal. And you can also think of it this way, even though you had some tough times, you're still standing, so when it comes to this you're a winner.

16. Rasheed187

17. Rasheed187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.