Asking for assistance.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Beginning a couple of days ago, when my computer starts up, I started to receive a pop up message (_AppName _MissingFile). I can click OK on the pop up and the message will disappear. So far I have had no problems with any of my software.

I suspicion that I will have to remove any software I have added to my system for the last couple of days or so, program by program, utill the pop up stops appearing. That would seem to me the logical thing to do.

But, before I begin to do this I thought I would ask whether or not anyone had any ideas as to how I could determine which program the pop up message is referring to.

Please excuse my ignorance it seems I learn something each day from this forum. As always I appreciate all comments and would thank you in advance.

John

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Were all of the programs you installed lately allowed to run at startup?

That may narrow your list down a bit.

3. jpcummins

The only one that runs at start up is Quick Time. The other programs were ones I down loaded but only ran to see if they worked. Hope this helps.

John

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

So what happens if you don't have quicktime running at startup?

5. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

jp, I have an idea for you - there's a program called "ace utilities" which has a free trial, check it out here http://www.acelogix.com/

Anyway, once installed, click the optimize tab, and within that there's an autostart manager. Within the autostart manager, look for autostart entries that refer to programs that are no longer installed on your system, and either disable or remove them. While you're at it, you may want to do some tweaking as well. Good luck.

chrome

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

If you still can't find an autostart entry then you could try Autoruns which lists many autostart locations.

7. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Look in the Event Viewer (or whatever it's called in English) and right click the error messages and select properties. You might get a more detailed description of what file is being referred to.

Sysinternal's Autoruns is useful to find and delete the autorun entry.

8. jpcummins

I want to thank each of you for your replies. As I said I learn something almost every time I visit the forum. As I really didn't need QuickTime I deleted it from my system and now when I start my computer the Pop Up no longer appears. So my problem was solved.

Someone once told me to go to START, RUN, MSCONFIG, STARTUP and click on Disable All. That then when I started my computer that it would ask me to okay what entries was needed in StartUp. I never did this because I was afraid that I might disable an entry I really needed.

Would I be safe in doing this? My computer loads fairly fast but I have no doubt that there are entries in Startup that I most likely could do without.

John

9. jpcummins

Anyone?

10. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Do you have a lot of entries? You can take a look here to see what they are, or at least most of them. Click the Task List button and then you can check to see if your startup items are listed. It will (in most cases) give you a description and say if you can turn it off or not.

Some things, like nclaunch.exe, the Adobe Reader pre-load thing and the Java quick starter, for example, can be killed off without any problems. I also turn off the Realtek sound gizmo and the ATI desktop control panel without screwing up sound or video.

BTW, should you need Quicktime after all (maybe to see a video online) you can Google up Quicktime Alternative. With this you can see QT content without the intrusiveness of the real Quicktime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.