Ashampoo Free Firewall vs Zone Alarm Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by duke1959, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Regarding the closed/stealth port issue, I thought that both prevent communications from connecting to your PC, but that in the closed situation, the hacker knows that your PC is there since it returned a "closed" response? So your system could be more vulnerable and the hacker could then use some other means to zero in on your system?

I don't have any experience with the Ashampoo firewall, but I will mention that the graphics are quite appealing. I have used ZA free for several years and it has never caused any problems on my computer. I have never experienced a dialer program that tried to call out from my system and the firewall has never shut down by some outside means when I have used it. Since you like several programs, I would get several PCs and then load them up with different configurations and then you compare the machine efficiency rates to your heart's content. ;)

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Open port = house with a certain door open.
    Closed port = house with a certain door closed and locked.
    Stealth port = house with closed and locked door. The house appears empty but that does not mean that the house is not there.

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Since both mean that the door is closed and locked, isn't that the same thing?

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

For security: YES
    Technically: NO
    Perhaps you want to learn something about networking, TCP/IP, firewalls. A basic understanding of these is maybe the best you can do for improving your security and peace of mind.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  5. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I think I'll stick with either Comodo Firewall or my AVG. One is tops and the other simple. Thanks to everyone from saving me a new installation. I just thought Ashampoo looked cool with some neat features. However, it may not be worth the installation at this time.

6. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

here is your answer ;-)

A house with a closed door is maximum one step further then one with open door. The bandit still can break in he only needs more aggression. Mr.Kvonic

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

You mentioned server.exe - please elaborate on that one too.

And now tell me, how can a bandit break through a closed port? Send a packet that has a PBM (Port Bursting Munition) string? Such a packet will be simply dropped as invalid. Send thousands of packets that will simply rebound and go back?

Closed port is closed.

The only difference between closed port and stealthed port is that the firewall does not reply back to the sender.

Furthermore, if you have no services listening, there is no way anything outside can communicate with your PC, despite your or their best wishes.

Mrk

8. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

You only need a click on one bad exe and your locked door may open, that was related to server exe.
    You should not forget rootkits. Some lacks in your house you cannot see.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Server.exe has NOTHING to do with firewall / ports / closed / stealthed. What you're talking about is OUTBOUND and execution.

I'm talking INBOUND.

And BTW, open port IS open, regardless whether your firewall stealthes or closes the ports.

Mrk

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

So far Ashampoo is doing good. i have tried PC Tools Firewall and didn't like it. I have tried ZA and it is better to use now than before, not as many uninstall problems. luckily i saw how to do clean uninstall ahead of time and it uninstalled ok for me. it used lots of memory and i don't want that. Ashampoo uses much less memory and has better interface and features then ZA like sound alert for allow deny pop up which is cool. it really is a decent firewall and i like it so far. didn't hear good things about company, but maybe this has changed.

11. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

He can use mine after I get over my obsessions. Might be awhile, though...:D Doesn't sound like that book is going to get written any time soon - kind of like the one I started...am too obsessed to remember when..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.