Ashampoo Burning Studio 2007 ~Free~

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chachazz, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well, I gave Ashampoo a fair chance and they blew it. It's on my blacklist.
    It can't be my BenQ CD/DVD-writer, which is a good brand.
    It can't be the CD, because it was a previous tested CD.
    It can't be caused by an interruption of another software, because I do my burnings in a quiet off-line snapshot.
    A software that causes errors so quickly doesn't have a chance on my computer.
    It's a pity because I liked the GUI.

I will try Infra Recorder, because I want to get rid of Nero.
    If it doesn't do any verification, I won't even test it.
    Thanks for the link :)

EDIT :
    Ditched Infra Recorder also. Not a very clear software and GUI isn't that good either.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

keep me posted and if you find a good alternitive for nero tell me because i might try it as well.
    lodore

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

If you didn't unchecked the notifications boxes on install, that is normal...

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I gave up on Nero, largely because of the crappy Incd, almost 4 years ago.
    I got Roxio's EMC 7 and have not been sorry,

So, on my multiboot PC, I have Roxio on my main OS and Ahead on another OS.

Recently, I did purchase Nero 7 Ultra EDition Enhanced, ONLY because it was free after rebates.

I may also buy Roxio EMC 9, as I just do not trust Ahead's products.

Roxio does have an active support forum at Roxio.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have a cut down dvd burner from roxio it just burns dvd's and cd's.
    but nothing else.
    lodore

6. ErikAlbert

Question concerning CDBurnerXP Pro :
    I have the impression that CDBurnerXP doesn't verify, when you burn an ISO-file, although the setting for verification was marked. My assumption is that this setting is for other burnings.
    Anyone who can confirm this o_O

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have burned hundreds of CD / DVDs with it, no problem ever.
    Mrk

8. ErikAlbert

Sorry Mrkvonic, but that's not an answer to my question.
    I didn't ask how many CD/DVD's you burned with CDBurnerXP.
    I asked "Does CDBurnerXP verify an ISO-file after burning it ?" Yes or No ? :)

9. Arup

Arup Guest

I installed Ashampoo Burner with my Win2K on a dual Xeon 800MHz machine, I have Asus burner reader combo as well as Yamaha CRW-F1, have burnt few CDs so far with no errors, CDs included movies, music and data as well as ISO with boot sectors.

10. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

i have the same Burner (actually mine was Philips 1648 crossflashed to Benq 1640) and i ve used both version 5 free and 2007 free and they burn just fine.I don't even bother with the verification test though.I use Nero Cd Speed Quality Scan and Transfer Test.Even the great Nero for some time used to fail the data verification tests,which btw,say NOTHING about the quality of the burn.As far i know,and i ve burnt a LOT of DVDs with data,Ashampoo doesn't lose any data.I would worry more about the Nero CD Speed quality Scan instead of the data verification,because the first can reveal a bad burn caused by dye degradation or disc incompatibility that can cause the data to be lost in 2 months time even if currently exist on the disc.

If your data appears to work,then i wouldn't worry much.Here is an example of Nero's troubles:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=182839&highlight=data verification

11. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You're a tough cookie.
    I have burned many ISOs, some of which I verified and some of which I did not. Does the program REALLY check - or just display a few lines in a GUI? I don't know. BUT I can tell you that all and any of the CD / DVDs I burned, including ISOs, work(ed) well on different platforms, without any errors.
    Mrk

P.S. If you wanna test, burn an ISO, try to mount it, if everything works, then it's cool. Burn a data disc, try to copy all its files off onto a harddrive, if you succeed, then prolly there are no errors.

12. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

What does verify mean to you?
    To me it means comparing the resulting CD with the source. When you create your own CD, you have a source.
    An ISO is an image. If you want to verify that, you need to extract the data from the ISO and use something like CDcheck to compare the data with the CD.

At best verifying after burning an ISO means check for readibility of the CD, as opposed to check for errors.

13. ErikAlbert

Yes, that's the kind of verification I want.
    Well, "CDCheck" proved at least that "CDBurnerXP Pro" did a good job.
    I compared the CD-objects with the ISO-source-objects and no errors were detected.
    The price for a personal license of CDCheck = $10, my bankaccount might survive that. :)
    (CDCheck also verifies DVD's, in case you wonder)

I'm going to use "CDBurnerXP Pro" for awhile as a replacement for "Nero StartSmart".
    Thanks everybody for the help and YES, I like to verify my burnings, because I prefer to avoid problems instead of creating new problems.

14. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You don't need to waste money on CD check.
    You can do a CRC with any md5 sum proggie.
    Mrk

15. Hyperion

@ErikAlbert

Well,just out of curiocity,i tried the verification.Works for me.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1062/20061206122618bt1.png

So,we have the same burner,to me verfication works,to you it doesn't.Maybe you hadn't uninstalled Nero and there was some driver conflict?Do you use the last firmware for the burner?Anyway,there must be some kind of conflict in your PC.

16. vhick

vhick Registered Member

is that the case. i will try to clean uninstall nero and install ashampoo. if the issue is still appear. maybe ashampoo is not for me....

17. Hyperion

Ok.I use the BSRB firmware btw (the last official as far as i know).The one i burnt was 4+GB DVD (Verbatim x16 burnt at X8 with finalize DVD and disc at once enabled in option).If it still doesn't work for you ,there must be some other weird conflict,which i don't think you ll find easily,so yeah,you d better stick to Nero or something.

18. ErikAlbert

Nero was still installed and it's an older version (Nero 6). I got it for free when I bought my BenQ CD/DVD-writer.
    About the firmware, I don't know, I have to check this first, but I don't think that's the problem.

I like the sober layout of "CDBurnerXP Pro" the most and Mrkvonic has a long and good experience with it.
    So I'm going to work with "CDBurnerXP Pro" for awhile and that's real freeware, while Ashampoo isn't.
    In other words, it doesn't matter if Ashampoo works or not, I don't want it.
    Verification is necessary for important CD/DVD's. If the burning isn't done properly, you will get other problems.
    If something isn't done right, it causes a chain of other problems after that.

A beautiful example of this are all these bad uninstall programs of softwares.
    These programs weren't written properly and they caused a chain of problems and actions after that. The worst is that everybody knows it and that it is STILL a problem.
    That's what you get, when you don't do something right. :)

19. vhick

vhick Registered Member

i do a fresh install of windows xp sp2 and this is a time to try ashampoo burining studio with no confict (perhaps). and im not suprise....failed! in verification. i try cdburerxp pro. i like it because it is free with a lot of function but nero have function that i not see in cdburnerxp pro:

1. verification on iso image.

2. i always burn in udf format in my data cd/dvd.

i see also oront burning kit. i see it very good. you can try it!...

well....stick on nero.....:(

20. pykko

pykko Registered Member

thanks for the news. Very nice and simple to use program.

21. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

To those upgrading to the Current Version for $9.99.

Please use the link in their newsletter. It will be cheaper by $2.
    You pay only $7.99 for the current full version.

Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.