As Suites go...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by marcromero, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am of the opinion that if an AV does not detect in a lab environment, then it will not in the real world. How many viruses does one experience in the real world? I have had only about 3 or 4 try to get to my system in over 6 years. All were caught by my AV, which was BD at the time.

So I fail to see how one would determine that one AV was better at protection than others without lab tests. The real world argument is one that is used when an application is not in the top tier. While there is some truth to the argument, on the whole I just do not believe it.
    Would you argue that it is superior in real world detection to KAV?

I don't question that Dr Web will give adequate protection, but to say that it is a great AV in comparison to those rated 1 or 2 levels above it is without evidence.

So anyway, I would rather have either Avast Home or AVG free than Dr Web. Each of us has the choice, and I'm glad of that.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

dr web is good software and will catch the nastys for sure, detection rate is good... but obviously there are better, but its feature set and price make it a good purchase for anyone looking for just an antivirus option.

but avg is free, and is also good... depends what you want to do or prefer, but dont knock dr.web, its good :D

3. Major_Stitch

Major_Stitch Registered Member

Well I'm not a fan of suites myself but for people that don't want to bug with each app, it's really great.

I'm not using any but have used Norton a while ago, and didn't find it very good. I'm still sticking to my trusty "web-sense" and few apps that I use.

4. marcromero

marcromero Guest

JerryM,

Here we go again with the av-comparartives number game and who's the best, because of it's current test score. As we all know, not all vendors are up to date or stay up to date with test samples, some have large signature updates just prior to a test and some vendors just simply will not add test samples that are not a working virus or they consider irrelevant. Take for example, Dr.Web, Igor Daniloff, the creator of Dr.web antivirus has a pretty rigid policy as to what is added to his virus database, because of this I'm sure Dr.Web will fail to detect everything in alot of independent av tests. Some vendors with limited staff may place a higher priority on ITW malware instead of adding laboratory test samples for a test, this discipline (Dr.Web), I agree with 100%, because it's protecting me from "real world" threats that I may encounter today or tomorrow. I also think, if Dr.Web added all the test samples provided by av-comparatives or other independent testers, it too, would most likely have no problem detecting them and their score would be top tier according to you.

I think "protection" also encompasses more than just detection rates, for example, every build of Kaspersky seems to cause different compatability issues and conflicts for alot of users, they end up having to disable or turn off certain features, for things to smooth out and work properly, what kind of protection is that ? if you can't use the program to it's fullest capability, and let's look at Nod32 also, for the two months I had it installed, I had nothing but update issues and errors, even now, with the addition of several new servers and other enhancements, some people are still having update problems with this program and the update utility. To my reasoning, these are not top tier products, regardless of what they score at some independent test site.

Dr.Web on the other hand, runs perfectly for me, updates flawlessly, and next to Kaspersky, has the most frequency of updates, of any antivirus I have ever used personally. I have also used the Dr.Web CureIt Utility (scanner and current database) on several occasions to help cleanup other peoples computers, it identifies and removes malware very thoroughly and without incident. This is evidence enough for me, to make my claim as to it's performance and protection, in a "reaL world" enviroment.

As for me, I will always be a fan of Dr.Web Antivirus, I have seen first hand what this program can do and how effective it can be when dealing with virus and malware. I don't need a high test score and rating from an independent test site to assure me of the quality of Dr.Web, Dr.Web does that on it's own everytime I use it to cleanup a computer.

I say, run what you like, and like what you run, the choice is yours. I've made mine.
    Marc

5. 337

337 Registered Member

Seems to me that it is really a battle of signature update frequency. as to which av detects what at any given time. From my limited point of view anyway.

6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Any program can have incompatability issues, even my choice DrWEB. When 4.33 came out there was a serious problem with Process Guard which took 4-6 weeks to resolve. Others ran into issues with system slowdowns. I toughed it out and the issue was resolved. The Doctor remains my number one AV til this day. I am running Panda AV 2007 on my workbox though and it is tickling my fancy right now...the license is good for two computers...hmmm...:blink: :rolleyes: o_O :D

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I agree with marcromero - some programs are more frustrating than others. I'm trying out an AntiVir and Comodo combo now and might go back to Kaspersky later.

8. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

In anyways THE BEST is always what runs best on YOUR computer IMHO.:)

9. 337

337 Registered Member

I will second that!!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.